Role of Germany in WWI

daniel6

Our class has to do an in class essay tomorrow on the causes of WWI. We're supposed to pick a country and write about how it contributed the most to the start of WWI. He's also marking it in the IB format, so it's kind of a first time thing for me aka i'm kinda nervous of how i match up to IB. So, the country i will blame it on is Germany (most obvious). I'm writing about it's agressive foreign policy (weltpolitik), how it provoked bad French and British relations, and how it started the arms race, the blank cheque which supported Austria Hungary against their "localised" war which turned to become WWI and it's Schliefflen plan. Problem is, for the Schliefflen plan, it's hard for me to put it in words. Like Germany did plan it in 1905, because they wanted a World war, to expand it's territories, and also, it focuses on the West, regardless of the agressors, which shows that Germany was going to try to take control of Europe, making any war, into a Europe wide war. My question: is this a good enough arguement? Or should i try to find some other reason why Germany started WWI?

"Now for the arms race, you could blame Germany by stating..." I don't think you finished your sentence there.

Do you mean aims as in Germany's aims in a European war, if one should break out? It states that it pretty much wants to rape France of all it's resources, and kick Russia back to the far east. Should I structure it saying that if a European war broke out, Germany would have so much to gain from it, so they helped "push" it a little?