17/24???

banana9

My teacher scored me a 17/24 on my IA for biology SL.  Is that good?  Like a 6 or 7?  I know in psychology, anything above like a 15 is a 7, but I feel like it's lower for bio.  I also realize IB can score it differently than he did, but I am still just curious.

Well, in May 2014 the grade boundaries were 39/48 for the IA according to this document, so I'd presume 17/24 would be a 6 if the grade boundaries remained the same and were equivalent to one another.

Well the thing is that there are different grade boundaries for the new syllabus, first exams 2016, so we don't know the official level from 1-7. However, since it it used to be out of 48 we could rewrite your 17/24 as 34/48. According to grade boundaries from May 2014 and May 2015, a 6 is 34-38 / 48 and a 7 is 39-48 / 48.

So, I guess we could say you received a 6 for your IA, but remember it's not your final IA mark as they get moderated. Other than that, whether or not you think a 6ish mark is good is all up to you.

Edited by Elite X-Naut