Question

maxihardt96

Depends on the subject. E.g. History P1 will only have the questions from the option your school chose, e.g. Peacemaking and Peacekeeping. Language A, I'm pretty sure your school has to inform the IBO of what texts you're working on in class so you can't really change the option there. However, sciences you will be fine with, same with Psychology. I did a different option in Chemistry than we studied in class because my brain is allergic to biology and I couldn't wrap my head around that biochemical option, whatever it was called. 

From popular classes at my school, you have to do the class options in SL/HL Literature and HL Math. you have choices in Group 2 (not sure about Classical Latin and Greek), Geography, Chemistry, Physics, and Biology. The problem with Chemistry and Physics is that they have a new syllabus. In the current HL guide, math paper 3 is described as

This paper consists of a small number of compulsory extended-response questions based on the option chosen

and 

Students must answer all questions.

My teacher says IB is given the list of texts studied in Literature. But the guide is not explicit about it

Paper 2 contains three essay questions for each literary genre represented on the PLA of the language A being examined. Students answer one essay question only. The essay is written under examination conditions, without access to the studied texts ...  Students are required to compare and contrast the similarities and differences between at least two of the works studied in part 3 of the course.

If the course guide just says from "one option", as in the case of Physics 2016, then likely you can study your own option. If the class is not known for streams, such as HL History - Americas and HL Math (Stats/Prob) or even Literature (Prose other than fiction), or if the option does not consume a significant amount of lecture time, it is typically ok to study your own options.