Not Prepared for the Math SL test...

Siren

Hi,

I'm really concerned about not being prepared for the math SL test by May. In my class we are just finishing up topic 3 with vectors, statistics, and calculus left and the teacher has made it clear all of the content won't be covered before the test. I really want/need to pass this SL.

Hey Siren, 

Your exam is in May 2017, last year I have calculus, statistics,  probability and vectors to cover in 2 terms.  My school managed to cover everything by end of  March. If your school stated that they will not cover everything, read it by yourself, ask your teacher if you encounter any problems. 

There will be enough time for you to pass or revise SL because you have one year left . Math is a self-motivated subject, so you must practice by doing different exercises to keep up with the theories and refresh yourself with knowledge. Through practices, you will pass or even get a 7 for Math SL. 

All the best,  don't worry about Math. Good luck. If you have any questions about Math SL, reply or message me and I will see if I can help you. 

4 minutes ago, Siren said:

Well it's not my choice... the exam is already paid for and I am set to take it. That's my issue here and it's why I posted this forum for advice because I am not sure what to do or the best way to prepare myself.

I have provided the best way for me to revise for Math SL above (practicing and reading through the book). Good luck.

43 minutes ago, Siren said:

Well it's not my choice... the exam is already paid for and I am set to take it. That's my issue here and it's why I posted this forum for advice because I am not sure what to do or the best way to prepare myself.

Ouch. You are very behind. There isn't much point to complain to the administration....

Is it possible to look into a tutor? Try finding a tutor familiar with IB math  and meet up a few days a week to work on the concepts that you're 100% sure you won't cover before your final. After that, move on to the next topic. It'll save you a lot of time compared to if you self-taught it.

Vectors, stats/probability, and calculus are the hardest topics in IB math, HL and SL. Depending on what you will be covering next, you should look into learning the one or two topics on your own, with HLs, from online, from books, or with a tutor. Calculus may be the most formulaic topic remaining. Vectors may be both conceptually challenging and mechanically difficult. Stats  / probability also cover a great breadth of topics. I think your best bet is to start learning calculus outside of class (if that's the one you won't go into great depth) and there are not too much concepts to be known but most of it is practicing with taking derivatives, antiderivatives and definite integrals. Ask your teacher for worksheets on ALL topics remaining, even if they are not covered in class, and start doing those calculus problems. Calculus will make use of contents in chapter 1, 2, and 3, so if you can nail calculus that's very likely good review for a decent chunk of what you have covered so far.

If calculus is not the topic you won't finish in class, same strategy applies for the other two and there is almost just as much practice to be done.

• Like 2

Adding on to what kw said, if I was to rate the difficulty (easiest to hardest) of the topics in SL, it would be:

1. Vectors (I believe you are introduced to the very basic of vectors here)

2. Statistics (A very lengthy unit although it is not a challenging topic)

3. Calculus

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

this is my first comment and I do not really know if it suits this thread but I have my math exams tomorrow and I have not studied consistently these two years. Yes, I know, I regret it. But the thing is that I have paper 1 math sl tomorrow and p2 on wednesday and chemistry paper 1 and 2 on thursday so should I just not study for math and instead focus on chemistry and psychology which are my hl subjects? Or shoud I spend time on math today? I would really appreciate your thoughts because I am so confused as to what to do now :(

2 hours ago, SarahBri said:

Hey guys,

this is my first comment and I do not really know if it suits this thread but I have my math exams tomorrow and I have not studied consistently these two years. Yes, I know, I regret it. But the thing is that I have paper 1 math sl tomorrow and p2 on wednesday and chemistry paper 1 and 2 on thursday so should I just not study for math and instead focus on chemistry and psychology which are my hl subjects? Or shoud I spend time on math today? I would really appreciate your thoughts because I am so confused as to what to do now :(

Well think about it this way. You have to have at least a 3 on each of your SL's in order to get the diploma, regardless if they all add up to 12 or not. With your HL's, you can score as low, as long as they all add up to 12. So I would study enough to the point where you feel confident in getting at least a 3 (That's what i'm doing lol, I am soooo unprepared), and then focus on chem and psychology, but most on chem because I am HLing as well and I am finishing up my first year in the class.