I am an IB student in Denmark and I am currently planning on applying to universities in Scotland and Ireland

I want to know if Math studies is generally looked down upon, even if you are applying to the humanities/social sciences

I am planning to apply to either English lit. or History courses at Edinburgh uni, St. Andrews uni, University of Glasgow, University of Dundee, Aberdeen uni and Trinity college Dublin 

Will universities prefer Math SL students even if they have a lower grade?? (it's likely that I will achieve a 7 in Math Studies)

Edited by ellajohardy

Hi there,

Honestly, in the UK, I don't think it matters that much unless you are applying for courses that are based on the natural sciences. If you are really worried, contact the universities directly, but I don't see any persuading reason they will look at it in any particular way. Just make sure not to fail the exams, and do write a good personal statement, and you should be fine. I certainly had no problems getting into British universities because I took maths studies. 

Good luck! 

• 4 months later...

It's true that a lot of UK universities don't even know the difference between Studies and SL, but they generally do expect a 5 at SL which is like a 6 in Studies. The universities you've listed were a few of my initial choices too and I can tell you that they are quite hard to get into, so if you're sticking with Studies, aim for a 7. Try emailing them directly too because a few will tell you that Studies doesn't meet their entry requirements, whilst others will say it's okay.