Math IA - Appendices allowed?

AshTash25

So my Math IA got selected by the IB for moderation and I was just talking to my math teacher about it today. Right now it's 14 pages exact and I can't reduce it any further, and my teacher said that's fine as long as it's less than 14. I do however have 3 pages of appendices of the Matlab code that I used in my IA; the graphs and important stuff are in the body, but I thought to include the code in the appendix to show that I've modified it. However, my teacher said that appendices aren't allowed in a maths IA and I also read on Reddit someone saying that's the case. It doesn't say in the guide that appendices aren't allowed. In fact, is says the important stuff shouldn't be pushed to the appendix, which implies that there can be an appendix. I'm really not sure about this so could anyone verify this? Also, a 14-page math IA (excluding cover, appendices and bibliography) wouldn't be penalised right? 

Thanks!

I have never heard of the rule of saying no appendices in math IA, or in any other IA. As usual, the appendix won't be marked and is really just saying you did the work and didn't plagiarize. You can't repetitively refer something (like a table, image, or calculation) from the appendix. 14-page IA will not face direct penalties but if for some reason your work is wordy or unclear then corresponding marks will be taken off. This is the same even if your IA was within the page range suggestion. Should there be a disagreement between you and your teacher, you should ask your IB coordinator for resolution but it shouldn't come to that.

• Like 2