Points for Ivy League Schools

THeSLay

• 3 weeks later...

..and..you know, amazing extracurriculars, leadership roles, family background and stuff like that.

Other than that, your grades seem fine! I believe it would not remove your application from the application pile. :)

Edited by Elca
Additional point

1 hour ago, Elca said:

..and..you know, amazing extracurriculars, leadership roles, family background and stuff like that.

Other than that, your grades seem fine! I believe it would not remove your application from the application pile. :)

On 4/1/2016 at 2:23 AM, NiCKEL said:

U.S. schools depend heavily on SATs and essays as well

Add these two replies together and you've got your answer :)

US schools care about a lot of different things. Your scores are probably going to be good enough to get your foot in the door. But you'll need other things to impress them enough to let you in. Do some amazing things for CAS, write a killer essay with your application, ace your SAT, and you'll have a decent chance.

• 5 weeks later...

HOLD ON!! I don't think you understand how the American University System works. American Universities are not at all like European or Canadian ones.

Your IB score is not even considered when you apply

And I'll explain why...

For starters, the application submission deadlines for most American universities and all of the IVs were in the beginning of January 2016. Decisions already were released in March 2016. Since IB exams are taken in May 2016, US schools will receive your exam results after they've already rejected/accepted you. So IB scores really do not affect whether one is accepted/rejected from an IVY league AT ALL!! However, many schools will award college credit if your IB exams are good. The highly selective American colleges and IVY leagues will usually offer credit to those who earn 6s or above in HL exams. 

So, I'm a bit concerned TheSLay. You created this thread on March 30--almost three months after the IVY League application deadlines past. Are you a senior. If so, there is no way that you'll be able to attend an IVY League next year, even if you have amazing extracurriculars, an amazing GPA,etc.

8 hours ago, vish101 said:

HOLD ON!! I don't think you understand how the American University System works. American Universities are not at all like European or Canadian ones.

Your IB score is not even considered when you apply

And I'll explain why...

For starters, the application submission deadlines for most American universities and all of the IVs were in the beginning of January 2016. Decisions already were released in March 2016. Since IB exams are taken in May 2016, US schools will receive your exam results after they've already rejected/accepted you. So IB scores really do not affect whether one is accepted/rejected from an IVY league AT ALL!! However, many schools will award college credit if your IB exams are good. The highly selective American colleges and IVY leagues will usually offer credit to those who earn 6s or above in HL exams. 

So, I'm a bit concerned TheSLay. You created this thread on March 30--almost three months after the IVY League application deadlines past. Are you a senior. If so, there is no way that you'll be able to attend an IVY League next year, even if you have amazing extracurriculars, an amazing GPA,etc.

He said he just finished IB1 so he has a year to go and plenty of time to apply :P