I was dropped from Pre-IB

Savome

Hey all, I am (or was) a 10th grader in Pre-IB. I really love IB and everything about it and was fully willing to accept all the work that was coming in the following years. I was told this week that I was being removed because of a disciplinary infraction. I won't go into details but I technically broke the cheating section in the honor code. It was an action that took about 1 second, required no prior thinking, and has had huge repercussions. I would give a lot to go back and simply do nothing for that 1 second but that's not happening. I may be overreacting but this program meant a lot to me and I had plans for it. What I ask is if there is any way I can join the program again? I would never cheat on any exam or test purposefully. The infraction description does not match what actually took place, so I believe I can discuss it with my school administration and maybe get it straightened out. If I do, is there any possibility me rejoining?

Edited by Savome

If you believe you can discuss it, then go ahead and try - there's no harm in trying! Whilst we can't assure anything - the decision lies with your school - there's no point in not even attempting to resolve the issue. If you know you did not intentionally cheat and can back yourself up, do it - at least you'll know you did your best to get back into it. If there's anyone else who can back you up, that's even better, and if your record's good, it should work in your advantage. Good luck!

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, apoello said:

If you believe you can discuss it, then go ahead and try - there's no harm in trying! Whilst we can't assure anything - the decision lies with your school - there's no point in not even attempting to resolve the issue. If you know you did not intentionally cheat and can back yourself up, do it - at least you'll know you did your best to get back into it. If there's anyone else who can back you up, that's even better, and if your record's good, it should work in your advantage. Good luck!

Thank you for the bit of hope! :D Just to clarify, it would be possible for me to still rejoin Pre-IB/enter actual IB after being removed from pre-IB according to IB rules? I was confused and surprised when my IB coordinator gave me a memo of removal, so after that it was more of a one-sided conversation with me just replying "okay" and "yes". I expected he had me go to his office to discuss my grades, so I was caught completely off-guard. If  I can convince the coordinator of my intentions, do you think he would let me back in? Any advice on how to convince him? -I'm not too good with words, especially when it's an important topic

Edited by Savome

Honestly, I'm not quite sure since I don't know if Pre-IB programmes are run by IB - are they? If so, here's a passage from the guide on academic misconduct (article 21 here).

21.1 If questions arise about the authenticity of a candidate’s work before submission for assessment, the situation must be resolved within the school. If possible academic misconduct (for example, plagiarism, collusion) is identified after a candidate’s work has been submitted to the IB Organization for assessment, the school’s DP coordinator must inform the IB Organization as soon as possible. For work that is internally assessed, “submission” refers to the deadline by which teachers’ marks must be submitted to the IB Organization. For work that is externally assessed, other than the scripts from the written examinations, “submission” refers to the candidate signing the declaration of authenticity for their work.

21.2 When a school, an examiner or the IB Organization establishes evidence to suspect academic misconduct by a candidate, the school will be required to conduct an investigation and provide the IB Organization with statements and other relevant documentation concerning the case. If a school fails to support the investigation into possible academic misconduct, no grade will be awarded to the candidate in the subject(s) concerned.

However, I don't know what will happen since it's Pre-IB Diploma and not the actual Diploma.

In terms of talking to him, I don't think there's anything you can do but be completely honest about what happened. Smooth talking isn't going to get you out of the situation - it's just about making sure you're telling the truth and, preferably, you can back yourself up.

In another IB document: Academic Honesty, IB basically said plagiarism and other issues for works not yet seen by IB are to be delt within the school. 
There should be a school-based or prescribed academic honesty policy within the school, in which there are descriptions of such behaviors and the repercussions. I am not sure if these are explicitly stated in your honor code. You are looking for the document that very clearly outlines the responsibilities of the students, and forms of punishments corresponding to each violation. 

IB does not oversee or have impact in any school's pre-IB program, other than the Primary Years' Programme and the Middle Years' Programme. 

I can't really offer any strategies for talking to the administrators because I am not at all familiar with your school's structure or admins' personalities or related regulations. However, you should probably focus on explaining the facts, both what you have/haven't done and exactly what the regulations say.

I spoke with my coordinator. I was already on probation for my grades so the incident counted as my second strike in the honor code so I was removed. My parents told me that from the way he talked to them there is no possibility he will be letting me back in. I will try to get the infraction fixed so it does not affect me in the future, but the coordinator at my school made up his mind. I am still going to try to convince him if I can get the infraction resolved. I can't believe it ended like this, over such a small thing. Wish I could go back a few days and put my hand over my mouth for the one second. I am hoping I can still get into the college I want to after this. Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Savome