When should I do the SAT?

gkkiller

What the title says. I'm planning to take the new SAT. Thing is, I didn't do my research and I figured I'd take it in July or August when I'm off school - my school closes in mid-June and opens in the last few weeks of August. But apparently, the next SAT dates are in May and June, after which the next dates are in October and November. I can't take the June one because I have my finals during that time. I'm concerned about doing the October SAT because that'll be a good two months into my second year of IB, and reportedly, that's when everything begins to ramp up and you feel the heat - IA submissions, TOK presentation, etc. Also, if I don't do well in October, I can't retake the SAT and get the second set of scores in time to apply for colleges. I'd rather take it in May. But will 5-6 weeks be enough to prepare for the SAT? I'm planning to ask my college counselor, but I want some advice from those who've already done IB. Will I be too bogged down in my second year to do the SAT then? Should I do May or October? Thoughts? 

I did fairly well on the PSAT, BTW. I got 1390 (new PSAT, so on 1520) with a week of not-too-rigourous studying. I'm also considering applying solely to Canada and SAT-optional schools, but that locks out USC, RISD and some other colleges I might want to apply to. 

5-6 weeks should be enough for a good first score if you spend about 1~1.5 hours daily just practicing. 
Are your school internal deadline in October? That's pretty early. I think May is your best bet and take one more in October or November. Some schools accept SAT scores after you completed an application. So you can apply with your May scores and update your schools when the results are in by November or December.