Paper 3 Option topic - can I answer questions of a different topic from the one my school set?

ibstudent321

Hi, 

My school has selected medicinal chemistry for the options topic, however, I'm currently struggling with it due to it containing excessive amounts of biology and organic chemistry. I'm doing HL physics and think I would do a lot better at the energy option. Is it possible for me to answer the energy option in paper 3 instead? For maths HL we are only given questions on our option topic and for English we have to refer to the texts selected by our school. However, for sciences I know that the paper 3 contains all topic questions. Would the examiners still mark the questions I've competed even if other students answer on a different topic? 

Any advice would be very helpful right now!

In physics, biology and chemistry you get all options in the examination paper and you can solve the one you wish. It's your choice. The school maybe decides which one it will teach, but you may study an option on your own and do it on the exam. ( This is what my teachers told me)

• Like 1