Universities and best score for Veterinary Sciences (Please help!)

Littlelostattimes

Hi there,

I wanted to inquire about the best scores for veterinary sciences, preferably Canada because they offer full legislation for international vet practice (so far I've heard, correct me if I'm wrong) and I like the environment in Canada. My dad used to tell me stories of his time as a university student in Canada :)

So far I'm only getting about 32/34s but I'm hoping I'd get 2 marks for a 36. I'm not sure if Canada universities would accept me :( I heard most medical studies require above 40 marks from the IB which is hard for me to do so. I've been self-studying biology and maths (but my maths teacher gave me past year papers to work on) and it has been a long way on getting a solid 5 for my biology. Lately I've gotten a 6 but I feel like a bummer :'). 

I'm also hoping if there will be scholarships for my studies so I wonder if any of you who are experienced could help suggest me ways or sites to get scholarships. My parents discouraged me from taking vet studies. Especially when I can't earn a solid 36 from the core, they're getting more upset with my decision and it worries me :(

I hope you guys could help me in giving advices about universities and scholarships. 

Thank you guys! :')

Hey there! Don't worry there is hope!!

First of all, you should be so proud of your score!! The average IB score is like 30 or something, and anything above that is really good! Most Canadian universities accept within that range. And, any IB applicant looks really good to Canadian unis because it is so much harder than the normal Canadian curriculum. I'm not sure where you heard the minimum 40 for med sciences, but that only applies to 1 school out of the dozens of universities here. If you really like vet studies, I recommend the University of Guelph. It is renown for its vet program and does not have crazy high admission averages (your 35 or 36 will be fine). It's also in a small town with beautiful forests and lakes and everyone is so nice ( I would know, I babysit for 2 vet professors from that university). Not sure about that legislation for international vet thing since I'm not interested in that field

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VeronicaG said:

Hey there! Don't worry there is hope!!

First of all, you should be so proud of your score!! The average IB score is like 30 or something, and anything above that is really good! Most Canadian universities accept within that range. And, any IB applicant looks really good to Canadian unis because it is so much harder than the normal Canadian curriculum. I'm not sure where you heard the minimum 40 for med sciences, but that only applies to 1 school out of the dozens of universities here. If you really like vet studies, I recommend the University of Guelph. It is renown for its vet program and does not have crazy high admission averages (your 35 or 36 will be fine). It's also in a small town with beautiful forests and lakes and everyone is so nice ( I would know, I babysit for 2 vet professors from that university). Not sure about that legislation for international vet thing since I'm not interested in that field

Veronica, thank you for replying and suggesting me another university :D I was looking forward to University of Calgary but I plan to apply to universities after I've graduated because my parents aren't looking forward to my interests haha. I'll be sure to look into University of Guelph :) 

Thank you for giving me hope and I'll try my best to least get a solid 35 on my exams. Thank you!

On 2016-04-07 at 9:33 AM, Littlelostattimes said:

Hi there,

I'm also hoping if there will be scholarships for my studies so I wonder if any of you who are experienced could help suggest me ways or sites to get scholarships. My parents discouraged me from taking vet studies. Especially when I can't earn a solid 36 from the core, they're getting more upset with my decision and it worries me :(

I hope you guys could help me in giving advices about universities and scholarships. 

Thank you guys! :')

Many Canadian universities offer some sort of monetary assistance, usually through scholarships, for international students. For specifics, I'd suggest that you go to the "Scholarships" section of the university you are interested in and glance through it. I believe Government of Canada MAY sponsor some international students but the new government might have changed something. Also, check your government and see if they offer to sponsor students who wish to study abroad.

Just as a heads up, veterinary colleges here typically have reserved the majority of their seats for local students that are located in the region or province. (For example, University of Calgary reserves the great majority of its seats for students in Alberta.) You may want to look into this as well as they have a limited number seats for international students. I believe U of Guelph has 15 reserved for students in USA and International students

Do remember that these entrance scores are an average and change every year. Usually for competitive programs, they're going to look at everybody at a case-by-case basis and marks solely do not determine entrance.

Good luck!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Littlelostattimes said:

Veronica, thank you for replying and suggesting me another university :D I was looking forward to University of Calgary but I plan to apply to universities after I've graduated because my parents aren't looking forward to my interests haha. I'll be sure to look into University of Guelph :) 

Thank you for giving me hope and I'll try my best to least get a solid 35 on my exams. Thank you!

No problem 😊. My IB friends and I in Canada wish you the best of luck on your exams! 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rosalina said:

Many Canadian universities offer some sort of monetary assistance, usually through scholarships, for international students. For specifics, I'd suggest that you go to the "Scholarships" section of the university you are interested in and glance through it. I believe Government of Canada MAY sponsor some international students but the new government might have changed something. Also, check your government and see if they offer to sponsor students who wish to study abroad.

Just as a heads up, veterinary colleges here typically have reserved the majority of their seats for local students that are located in the region or province. (For example, University of Calgary reserves the great majority of its seats for students in Alberta.) You may want to look into this as well as they have a limited number seats for international students. I believe U of Guelph has 15 reserved for students in USA and International students

Do remember that these entrance scores are an average and change every year. Usually for competitive programs, they're going to look at everybody at a case-by-case basis and marks solely do not determine entrance.

Good luck!

This was what I was worried about because I was afraid my grades aren't competitive enough so I decided to ask the people here to see if I ever had any chances of getting into a Canadian Vet University :') 

I'm plan to take internships and field experience to convince the universities to let me in (hopefully). I think this would be a good idea since you've also mentioned that they select candidates through a case-by-case basis. Now I get an idea of what I need to do for now :) Thank you!

Thank you for the info about the scholarships too :D