Formulating a research question for the IA

xenophilous

What are some good methods to formulate an excellent research question that has a historical debate, that can be investigated in 1300 words (is specific), and allows a detailed analysis?

My topic is: Germany and the Alliance Systems 

Despite how smart, "To what extent was Germany responsible for the formation of Alliance Systems within Europe during the pre-First World War period of 1870-1914?" sounds, it is too broad and I want to investigate something similar yet I can not form a specific research question.

I have to have a RQ preferably by Friday, Monday next week at best. 

If that topic is too broad, you could narrow your focus to a shorter time period, the influence of a particular group/figure in Germany, or you could pick a certain alliance, like between Germany and Austria-Hungary specifically?

Also, if this is for your actual IA and not just a practice you may want to consider changing your topic area - there is a lot of widely available historical analysis on Germany in this time period, and practically every history student will study very similar topics in class.

Alternatively try to find a more 'unique' perspective :) obviously that's easier said than done, but often focusing on the history of your home country (which I assume you've studied in past years) or their role in a historical event you're interested in is a good way to improve your marks. The marker is far less likely to have studied your topic extensively and thus less able to pick up on any faults you may have. It'll also be something new on their pile of IAs about Germany/Russia/WW1. Also, since you live there you have the advantages of background knowledge and being be able to read the language of any sources you come across, which is definitely useful.

That's the strategy I'm going with for my IA, since the northern hemisphere can be pretty clueless when it comes to our history/culture :P 

Just some ideas for you to think about, good luck!

Edited by terribletouw
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, terribletouw said:

If that topic is too broad, you could narrow your focus to a shorter time period, the influence of a particular group/figure in Germany, or you could pick a certain alliance, like between Germany and Austria-Hungary specifically?

Also, if this is for your actual IA and not just a practice you may want to consider changing your topic area - there is a lot of widely available historical analysis on Germany in this time period, and practically every history student will study very similar topics in class.

Alternatively try to find a more 'unique' perspective :) obviously that's easier said than done, but often focusing on the history of your home country (which I assume you've studied in past years) or their role in a historical event you're interested in is a good way to improve your marks. The marker is far less likely to have studied your topic extensively and thus less able to pick up on any faults you may have. It'll also be something new on their pile of IAs about Germany/Russia/WW1. Also, since you live there you have the advantages of background knowledge and being be able to read the language of any sources you come across, which is definitely useful.

That's the strategy I'm going with for my IA, since the northern hemisphere can be pretty clueless when it comes to our history/culture :P 

Just some ideas for you to think about, good luck!

I agree how WWI is overdone, especially Germany. I think the topic is the problem.