Hey my teacher just told me that you should never ever stay up at night and that it's crazy.

Do you guys agree? Because sometimes I stay up all night but I don't really think I'm crazy.

Also if you do believe staying up all night is crazy are here any situations which justify staying up all night?

Thanks, BongSoldier OUT.

Hey! I personally think I do my best work when it's late at night, and often go to bed at 1 am. However, I've never stayed up all night. 

However, it really does take a toll when you have lots of assignments or exams in a row. So sometimes I'll stay up late to work on a certain assignment but not when I have an exam the next day. I only started to do this in IB Year 1, btw

You could probably keep pulling these all nighters, but when you're in IB Diploma, it's not a great strategy. IB Diploma will be pretty challenging and you will wish for sleep!

So, it's not necessarily crazy to do it, but please do not rely on this as a strategy! It should be a last choice, aka maybe once or twice a month. 

The last thing you want is a bad study habit that lasts all the way to IB Diploma that could jeopardize your marks

I do think it's crazy.

When you're tired you don't work well, certainly don't produce your best work, then will struggle to concentrate the next day which is detrimental to your learning and ability to complete further tasks the following evening. After a certain point of sleep deprivation you may as well be drunk in terms of your ability to perform. On a lesser point it's also bad for your health to be sleep deprived.

I would never put myself in a position where I had to stay up all night to finish something. I know full well that what I do when I'm tired isn't half as good as what I do when I'm alert. If I'm still not finished with something, but I can feel I'm very tired, I just go to bed. No point in continuing with it. Whatever internal deadline it is will have to wait. And I'm not mad enough to leave it until the external deadline.

• Like 6

It is completely ludicrous. Not sleeping enough (i.e. 7-9 hours, depending on your own needs) is crazy enough in itself. 

Staying up all night is just proof that you are unable to plan your time and resist instant gratification. In addition to Sandwich's note that sleep deprivation has the same effects as being drunk, scientific research has also shown that sleep deprivation leads to reduced brain size, increased risk for cardiovascular diseases as well as higher chances of mental illnesses. On a more short-term basis, lack of sleep affects your memory, attention, decision-making, thought processes, cognitive speed, in addition to a long list of other things. Not exactly what anyone would want for themselves, is it? 

Now, I have pulled off one-nighters before, but I don't say that with pride. It's a really stupid thing, because most of the times, it is completely avoidable. Luckily, the last couple of years, I've learnt a lot in terms of time management, and I've managed to get some control on my sleep patterns. My advice, if you care the slightest about yourself and your health: Sleep! 

• Like 2

I finished the IB with 39 points, then had a short stint at Oxford (where I had good results too), now I'm at uni again and I'm pulling pretty much all firsts and I have never in my life done an all nighter. They're not healthy, they're not good for you, nor are they good for the work you're trying to do. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Staying up all night will certainly lower your productivity levels and will considerably lower your ability to focus. It has way more harms than benefits. A good night's sleep, up to 8 hours (which is hard at times), can help you do so much better because it gives your brain a chance to refresh itself.