HL Option C (Energy) Electrochemistry Reactions

Tarun Khubchandani

Hey All!

I'm doing the Energy option this may in my exam, and as I've been revising I realised that there are a lot of redox reactions to be covered for the rechargeable cells and fuel cells HL topic. I just wanted to know, are we expected to memorise these reactions and be able to reproduce them in the exam or just understand how they work (meaning that we indirectly talk about them or have the equation given and then do some work with it)?

Thanks!

P.S.

@Msj Chem: Thanks so much for your videos! We didn't have too much time to cover the option in school, so I learned most of it using your YouTube videos and my textbook.

Edited by Tarun Khubchandani

Our teacher insists on us learning all the equations. He says usually they ask either lead acid battery or acidic/alkaline fuel cell so we'll have to know those 2 reactions thoroughly, including the reactions! But it's good to know the eqns for the nickel-cadmium and lithium ion cell too. They can ask them too.

Good luck!

1 minute ago, AshTash25 said:

Our teacher insists on us learning all the equations. He says usually they ask either lead acid battery or acidic/alkaline fuel cell so we'll have to know those 2 reactions thoroughly, including the reactions! But it's good to know the eqns for the nickel-cadmium and lithium ion cell too. They can ask them too.

Good luck!

I was hoping you weren't going to say that :P Thanks though! I appreciate it! Good luck to you too!

Edited by Tarun Khubchandani

Taken from the syllabus:

Applications and skills:

Explanation of the workings of rechargeable and fuel cells including diagrams and relevant half-equations.

Guidance:

Students should be familiar with the anode and cathode half-equations and uses of different cells. 

So it seems that students do need to know the half-equations for fuel cells and rechargeable cells.