Chemistry IA Help

JinMom

Does the IA topic 
"To study the changes in the iodine value of edible oils such as olive oil, flax seed oil, coconut oil, canola oil and rice bran oil on subjecting the il to heating  and reheating at various temperatures." make good sense. I'm trying to link iodine value to nutritional value. Would appreciate any help in putting this together. I'm confused because they now say saturated fat such as coconut oil is better for health and it has a low iodine value. They say higher the iodine value, higher the unsaturation and better for health...so a little direction would help in streamlining the experiment. Thanks

Specific wording of the IA topic can be changed later if you wish but it is a very interesting idea! Since this is chemistry and not biology you can narrow down "nutritional value" to something specific and discuss the matter from a more chemical perspective. Without me giving much away, you should probably talk about physical properties of saturated fat and trans fat and how these affect the body. If there is some beneficial reaction (or inhabits any harmful reaction) that coconut oil undergoes that completely overrules the low iodine number then that's a good start. Consider what your experiment(s) will be, because like you said low iodine number does not always equate to low (negative) nutritional values. Perhaps you can try a hybrid of experiment and literature (past studies) to completely answer the question.

• 2 months later...

Hey @kw0573  did you or any of your classmates end up doing this lab?? I'd been thinking in something similar related to the iodine in different edible oils but i hadn't thought in linking the value of the iodine to its nutritional value, and I find it a great idea!!

Could you please reply me as soon as you can so that I can continue working on my IA and expand it with the idea of the nutritional value??

Thank you very much,

Claudia

Hey @kw0573  did you or any of your classmates end up doing this lab?? I'd been thinking in something similar related to the iodine in different edible oils but i hadn't thought in linking the value of the iodine to its nutritional value, and I find it a great idea!!

Could you please reply me as soon as you can so that I can continue working on my IA and expand it with the idea of the nutritional value??

Thank you very much,

Claudia

There is no stated rule that no IAs can be on the same topic. Teachers cannot accuse you of plagiarism solely based on same topic. :FYI:In the previous syllabus, everyone in the class did the same experiments. Now teachers would want diversity in topics but you can shape your directions slightly differently than you peers. 

There is no stated rule that no IAs can be on the same topic. Teachers cannot accuse you of plagiarism solely based on same topic. :FYI:In the previous syllabus, everyone in the class did the same experiments. Now teachers would want diversity in topics but you can shape your directions slightly differently than you peers. 

Okay, great! Thank you very much!

One other question , if you are not a VIP member you cannot even view the documents people upload?? Cause i know that to download these files you need to be a VIP, but I didn't know if for viewing them you had to be one. 

Thanks again

Okay, great! Thank you very much!

One other question , if you are not a VIP member you cannot even view the documents people upload?? Cause i know that to download these files you need to be a VIP, but I didn't know if for viewing them you had to be one. 

Thanks again

This is kind of off topic. But I don't think IBS has an option of previewing, as opposed to simply downloading a document. All of the general IB documents, such as syllabi and guides, are open to all members. Please start a new topic in the appropriate forum if you need more help. ;)

On 7/7/2016 at 0:28 AM, kw0573 said:

from what i remember, my teacher mentioned as long as you use different methodologies you are able to research the same topic. So if you do have a variation in your method you can?

• 2 years later...

@kw0573 Hello, I'm currently struggling on my topic which has to do with the unsaturated fat in different temperatures, measured by the iodine number. I have already run my experiment and have gotten the results of the beginning and end of the unsaturated oils. So how do I find the iodine number of the unsaturated fat in order to find out how much of a difference it made in the different temperatures? Please help me, I appreciate it. Thank you!!!

Edited by AyoK

@AyoKEach double bond can react with a molecule of I2; a triple bond can react with two molecules. The iodine number is the mass of iodine (I2) to fully react with 100g of the fatty acid. Set up a stoichiometry problem, equate the moles and find the mass of I2. Hope that helps!

• 9 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 1:58 PM, JinMom said:

Does the IA topic 
"To study the changes in the iodine value of edible oils such as olive oil, flax seed oil, coconut oil, canola oil and rice bran oil on subjecting the il to heating  and reheating at various temperatures." make good sense. I'm trying to link iodine value to nutritional value. Would appreciate any help in putting this together. I'm confused because they now say saturated fat such as coconut oil is better for health and it has a low iodine value. They say higher the iodine value, higher the unsaturation and better for health...so a little direction would help in streamlining the experiment. Thanks

hey, i found your topic really interesting. is there like any possibility that you can send me your IA, just so that i can read it, because its super intriguing!