help with choices

OisinT

Hey, I'm a few days away from finalizing my IB choices for 11th and 12th Grade (year 12 and year 13), but I am having some trouble deciding where to focus my studies. I am currently wanting to go on and study law but I feel there is no guarantee I will feel that way in 2 years so I am stuck between two sets of IB courses;

1. HL History - HL Lang. and Lit. - HL Economics - SL French Ab initio - SL Mathematics - SL Chem or Physics

2. HL Chemistry - HL Physics - HL Lang. and Lit. - SL French Ab initio - SL Mathematics - SL History

My thoughts right now;

List 1 allows me to focus on the subjects that i would most likely be using if I were to go on and do Law, but if i was to change my mind it would leave me a bit stranded in terms of choices. I also love History.

List 2, from what I've seen would allow me to get admitted to many top Universities for Law, however if I was to change my mind and not want to peruse Law I would have a lot more options available to me compared to List 1. The main draw back of this list is the fact that I am not studying many subjects related to law in my HL's, which may affect my ability to be competitive for high-teir Law courses.

Any input would be appriciated! 

P.S- The rigor of the courses doesn't bother me much.

If you want to go into law or anything related to social science, there would be no point doing HL chemistry and physics as that's specifically for science programs. I would suggest you go with the first choice since you have history, langlit and econ at HL which is pretty good.

Although list 2 may get you into top unis, you should check to see if any of those courses are absolutely required for the universities you are applying to; otherwise having chemistry and physics HL would be too much unnecessary work in my opinion. 

Edited by Elite X-Naut

If you want to do Law it is essential for you to achieve a 7 in HL History, English HL (7)  and maybe Economics. If I were you I would take ESS, or the science that you are better at, at a SL level so that you have more time to focus on the subjects you really need. If you want to keep your options opened just in case you don't want to do Law then choose your favourite science at a HL.