What do you do if you didn't finish your syllabi and it's IB2?

Andrew

Like, i have the exams starting in 10 days and I feel like I miserably failed all my self-study plans. In order of importance for my U admission: 

Math HL      probably the only one I would finish, if I dedicated all my time to it. 
Physics SL  my teacher came one year ago and had no idea of what all the IB thing was about and we literally haven't even touched topics 5, 6, 7, 8 and Relativity. 
Spanish Lit HL - got to analyze one book and read and analyze another 

English L&L HL - got to read as much as possible of one book and finish the course companion (manageable) 

History SL - Know NOTHING. I always put it off, and i plan to read my Cold War Cambridge course companion, the other course companion for the topic, and some chapters of Norma Lowe's. 

Business and Management - Finished the book. Not a big worry. I'm good at it. 

I spend my days from dawn to sunset sitting reading and doing exercises, but even if I don't sleep it's not doing the trick. I need an emergency plan and my nerves are obliterated.  Please. Help. 

I simply do not know how to phrase this at all. Seems like you have a huge problem, a crisis ahead of you. For what you can do in 10 days? I do not think that you can learn EVERYTHING in 10 days, but try to reread all the things you have made mistakes on, learn from why you made that mistakes, then finding the right solution, especially English, Spanish and History. For Maths, I will suggest you to do more practices on, not excessive, but suitable amount on each topics. Physics SL is not a huge problem but if your teacher didn't touch on 4 topics and options, I would suggest you to revise the topics that you have learnt than panicking in 10 days, it will bring you huge amount of stress. 

Burning the midnight oil is not a good thing to do. Rather than reading all night and all day, start a to-do list, aim at what you want to do today and try to tick everything off. You will feel accomplished by what you can do at the end of the day. Sleeping is very vital pre-IB exam because hey dude, you don't want to be sick. If you have a lot of problems, ask your teacher, no matter if they are familar or not familar with the IB topics, your physics teacher may just came and fresh new to the syllabus, but you can ask him/her any questions, I am sure your teacher have some basics on Physics and can help you with something. 

Summary: 

- Do not panic 

- Learn from your mistakes 

- Practice more 

- Past Paper 

- Sleep more and be healthy

I wish you good luck <3 

• Like 1

Also, with regard to physics, the option topic is worth more than any other individual topic. So if you can't self study the remaining physics syllabus focus all your time and energy into the option topic. Another thing to consider is that in the paper 3 science exams you have the option of answering any of the four options so if you really have no idea about relativity you can choose to self study another topic which may be easier. 

• Like 1

I haven't tried this myself, but if you have applied to a school, or are waiting for offers, or have schools in mind for later application, you can call the admissions offices and ask them whether they value higher overall marks, or pay more attention to specific courses, in your case I'm guessing HL Math. I can't guarantee results, but it's worth a try. With this in mind, I recommend the following two tips.
1. You shouldn't spend all revision time on one subject. The effort and time to go from 6 to 7 is incredibly higher in HL Math than that of many other IB subjects, so if 5 or 6 in HL Math is all you need then move on to your other 5 subjects. Little effort is needed to score 3 on the finals on each subject. Make sure you can score at least a 3 on all your exams and at least get the diploma. I spent all my time studying organic chemistry and my other chem topics took a toll. I knew someone who got a 7 in HL Literature and almost didn't get the diploma.
2. I don't recommend learning half of SL Physics in few weeks. What was your teacher doing for two entire years?? If you know what most the equations mean and what the variables stand for then it's impossible to fail.

• kw0573 locked this topic