UCAS applications

Harry Yoon

I've heard that we are allowed to apply to 5~6 universities through UCAS, but I also heard from someone that we are only allowed to write one single application essay.

Is this true? Than if this is true, doesn't this mean that one student can only apply to one single major course of 5~6 different universities? 

For example, if I wrote an application essay to a university in Pharmacy, am I not allowed to write another application essay to another university of chemical engineering?

Thanks

That is correct. You can only apply to 5 universities during one cycle, with one Personal Statement. Universities in the UK want you to know what you want to study and why, so people who are just applying around to various courses wouldn't be very attractive to them. Obviously, you can apply to related courses (Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical science for example), but not for English Lit and Chemistry in one cycle. 

1 hour ago, Gaby said:

That is correct. You can only apply to 5 universities during one cycle, with one Personal Statement. Universities in the UK want you to know what you want to study and why, so people who are just applying around to various courses wouldn't be very attractive to them. Obviously, you can apply to related courses (Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical science for example), but not for English Lit and Chemistry in one cycle. 

What about the Application fees? How much do they cost generally (in UK or Canada)?

5 hours ago, Gaby said:

Then if I am thinking for applying to medicine, for example in Oxford, is it possible to apply for Pharmacy as well?

Guest beyondtheimagine
5 hours ago, Amina Huseynli said:

What about the Application fees? How much do they cost generally (in UK or Canada)?

In Canada it usually ranges from $65 to $150 (depends on the university, and sometimes your status within Canada; examples- Canadian citizen, permeant resident, etc)

On 20 April 2016 at 8:48 PM, Amina Huseynli said:

I think it's around 15-20 pounds in the UK. It's a single fee for all universities, because you're applying through one system. 

22 hours ago, Harry Yoon said:

Then if I am thinking for applying to medicine, for example in Oxford, is it possible to apply for Pharmacy as well?

Not really sure, you might want to research that. People mostly combine Medicine and Biochem/Biomed application. Pharmacy is not as related to medicine, I don't think. I'm also not sure if Pharmacy is even a degree in the UK, I think most pharmacists do an apprenticeship.