Picking out a novel for English EE

nikki_shaffer616

Hi, I am going to be a junior this upcoming year and my class has already chosen our subjects for our extended essays. I chose an English EE, but I am struggling with how to choose the correct novel. I started to brainstorm and came up with a few novels that I would enjoy interpreting its context and subtext, but I don't know if they would be ok. The books are: "The White Giraffe" by Lauren St. John, "Zoo" by James Patterson, "The Emperor of all Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and "The Humans" by Matt Haig. If anybody can help or give advice that would be awesome, thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I saw that no one replied to this post and I hope I am not too late. By the looks of your first few choices 'The White Giraffe' and 'Zoo,' you appear to have a zoological theme emerging. I also wanted to go down this route at one point, and the particularly famous novel 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel was suggested by my English teacher (you have probably heard of it). It is not only zoological but also philosophical and would be very interesting to talk about in an EE. If you also like the idea of foreign literature a good author to look at would be Gabriel Garcia Marquez. He is a South-American magical realism author and many of his stories are novellas instead of novels, so you could potentially compare two. 'Chronicle of a Death Foretold,' 'Love in the Time of Cholera,' and 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' could be interesting ones to study. Just thought this may be a few more ideas you could consider!

As for the books you have already brainstormed, you can never really be sure whether they will fit the criteria until you read them, unfortunately. I found here in the UK most people are looking at more classic books - for example, my extended essay is on Edgar Allan Poe, a friend of mines is on Shakespeare's sonnets, and another student is looking at Oscar Wilde. Then again, that may be inherently British. James Patterson is a far more modern contemporary author and potentially, by writing about him, you could have an edge. Could be unique!

Happy writing!

mala-prop-ism