IB Options - Engineering- Chem HL or Computer Science HL?

JeffRaghav

Hi everyone,

The current options I have submitted are:
Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics HL
LangLit, Economics, French SL

However I am now considering removing Computer Science HL and replacing it with Chemistry HL. I was looking through the textbook for Chemistry and I found it to be quite interesting. But I also need to know whether it is absolutely required for Engineering? I am considering studying Engineering at university, possibly Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Also, how is the workload for Chem HL vs Computer Science HL? Would ComSci be an easier 7 than Chem? Thank you.

Hi looks like your subject combination will be almost the same as mine if you choose Computer Science. Since you want to do computer or electrical engineering computer science would be more useful probably even though you could do chemistry. But I'm pretty sure Chemistry is harder than computer science HL although not by much. If you're better in science subjects I would recommend chemistry but if you're better at mathematics I would recommend Computer Science.

In almost all universities computer science is not a prerequisite to study engineering, so even if you take chemistry, you can still do computer engineering at uni.

However, in some countries, Canada for example, you will need chemistry to study any sort of engineering