My school doesn't know what books we are allowed to use in the L&L P2

Andrew

Literally, we've heated up the book argument almost to cursing words and my teachers still don't get their crap together even among themselves, and then I come up and say that the guide states that part 3 books are the only ones allowed for the paper, then my coordinator says that it's any book at all that is either in the PLA or the PLT, and finally my English teacher argues that it's any book at all. 

The wisest option would be to take the smallest subset of this universe, which is part 3 books. The problem is that one of those books is neither in the PLA nor in the PLT, and the other I haven't read and I loathe with my soul (Jane Eyre), plus I didn't even read it. So my only bet at this point would be to either use the non PLT/A book or use a part-4 book. 

Edited by Andrew

Higher level: At HL students study three literary texts. • One text must be taken from the PLT list • One text must be from the PLA for the language A studied • One text can be chosen freely—from the PLA, the PLT list or elsewhere—and may be in translation

Note: I did not take L&L but instead the following is my understanding of the IB documents I can find.
The guide, on page 20 as shown above, says three books for part three and one of them can be off syllabus. You need at least 2 of the 3 part three books for Paper 3. After reading pages 216 to 223 of the Handbook of Procedures for May 2016, it seems that schools are not required to submit list of works chosen (in the same document for 1.1 Literature: taught students it is explicitly stated that schools do not need to submit list of works, p 175). That means essentially you can use any book in the PLT or PLA, as long as it doesn't duplicate with a work you have used in your written task, individual oral commentary, and the further oral activities, also the author does not duplicate with any of your part 4 authors.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kw0573 said:

Note: I did not take L&L but instead the following is my understanding of the IB documents I can find.
The guide, on page 20 as shown above, says three books for part three and one of them can be off syllabus. You need at least 2 of the 3 part three books for Paper 3. After reading pages 216 to 223 of the Handbook of Procedures for May 2016, it seems that schools are not required to submit list of works chosen (in the same document for 1.1 Literature: taught students it is explicitly stated that schools do not need to submit list of works, p 175). That means essentially you can use any book in the PLT or PLA, as long as it doesn't duplicate with a work you have used in your written task, individual oral commentary, and the further oral activities, also the author does not duplicate with any of your part 4 authors.

I am very sorry to trouble you still, I don't know what it would be of this forum without your expertise. Would you mind helping me find the specific piece of text in the handbook where you got the statement "as long as it doesn't duplicate with a work you have used in your written task, individual oral commentary and the further oral activities" ? 

Thank you for all! 

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I am very sorry to trouble you still, I don't know what it would be of this forum without your expertise. Would you mind helping me find the specific piece of text in the handbook where you got the statement "as long as it doesn't duplicate with a work you have used in your written task, individual oral commentary and the further oral activities" ? 

Thank you for all! 

You are mistaken, everyone on here is open to help others and has own expertise. What you have ask me to cite is not in the text, but an inference. You should read the section in detail to make your own conclusions. Ultimately it was you who made the mistake of not reading Jane Eyre, but now that you have the reference material the coordinators get, you can decide for yourself how to best resolve the situation.

• kw0573 locked this topic