Choosing HL and SL

Ishi01

My school doesn't offer IB for middle/ secondary school. So, I'm doing IGCSE right now for 10th. I have to choose my subjects now, 

Subjects I was thinking about: HL: Economics, Maths and Physics

SL: English Language and Literature, Spanish AB, Chemistry

Right now, I do not have any specific career option in mind and I am very confused about what to do in college/ as a course.

My grades in maths (the SL of IGCSE (Extended Maths)) are around 95% and I have an interest in the subject.

Physics is around 90% and I sort of like it, not my favorite .

I have never done econs before though, I have studied business for around 3 years. The reason I chose econs is because people have told me that econs is of more value in college rather than business.

My literature grades are around 70% and Language around 80%. And I like language way more than literature

I haven't taken Spanish before. I took french for about 7 years but I am not able to cope up and my grade are around 70%.

I hate chemistry, but my parents want me to take it so that I do not close of the option of engineering. My grades in Chemistry are close to 60%

What would you suggest? Are my subject choices okay?

Edited by Ishi01

I think your subject choices are pretty nice and decent with your IGCSE grades. However, if you do not like chemistry, do not take it, it is a hard subject. You should reconsider before taking it. I am sure your school will let you to take 1-2 weeks of chemistry, if you do not like it, switch to another subject. Therefore, now you should think of another subject that you are interested in so you can have a back-up. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/06/2016 at 8:38 AM, gunchaib2017 said:

English LangLit HL is definetley worth it, since there's not much difference between SL and HL, but it counts as one of your highers!

Sorry for the really late reply, my school doesn't offer Language and Literature as an HL

On 23/04/2016 at 4:41 PM, inriya said:

I think your subject choices are pretty nice and decent with your IGCSE grades. However, if you do not like chemistry, do not take it, it is a hard subject. You should reconsider before taking it. I am sure your school will let you to take 1-2 weeks of chemistry, if you do not like it, switch to another subject. Therefore, now you should think of another subject that you are interested in so you can have a back-up. 

Still doing Chemistry SL. I think I am able to cope with it for now

• Like 1