Fountain pens

FrenchIB

Hi,

I am sitting my exams in about 8 days now and I wanted to know if fountain pens were allowed? It's the only pen I write with and I'm scared it's not allowed... I haven't seen any regulations prohibiting them so I don't think there is a problem...

Would you know anything?

Thanks! :)

I think the only requirement is that you write with black or blue ink. So I am pretty certain you can use your fountain pen as long as the colour of the ink you use is black or blue. However, I suggest you bring a "normal" pen to the exams as well, in case you are not allowed to use the fountain pen. 

• Like 2

The school should soon, if not already, clearly state all exam regulations. You should look for a document entitled " The conduct of IB Diploma Programme examinations May 2016 and November 2016" for the instructions schools are given. Exams are scanned and are double sided so if the pen were to leak in the exam you have to be prepared. You can switch pens, including in colour, at any point.

• Like 1

Guest park3rborn

I usually use rollerpoints which write pretty well, in case your school complains about your fountain pens. There's an IB student in my class who exclusively uses fountain pens (and they are nice pens) and I believe he uses them on IB exams.