Are these good EE questions?

SethV

Which one is better? If they are both bad, help me out some

"To what extent does the division between the Sunnis and the Shiites claim responsibility for the wars in Iraq?"

"To what extent is nationalism responsible for causing world war 1"

"To what extent is nationalism responsible for causing World War 1" is too generic. You couldn't say everything about that question in 4,000 words.

"To what extent does the division between the Sunnis and the Shiites claim responsibility for the wars in Iraq" is good but it needs to be rephrased. It needs to specify which Iraq wars and the use of "claim" is incorrect. An intangible thing can't really claim things, but it can cause things. 

Hey there,

To add on what caprialsun was stating, you might want to start researching the topics and find what academics or experts disagree on. Analysis is an intrinsic part of the EE, and you need to demonstrate that by coming with claims and counterclaims - both with reference to the literature. Otherwise, you'll find it very difficult keeping the essay analytical, and it would nonetheless be very one-sided. Because of this, you need to research the topic before you settle on a research question. Good research questions are rooted in good research, not vice versa. Do some research, and find something the literature disagree on. The question for your questions: Is there any contention on whether or not the sectarian split is responsible for the wars? I would presume there are differing opinions on this, but you need to seek these out.

Also, another point here, you're referring to 'wars' - what wars? There have been quite a few wars in Iraq over the years, choose one and specify - i.e. include the years. Also, keep in mind that you cannot write on anything within the last 10 years, so if you're speaking about the War in Iraq as a consequence of American interventionism, then you need to be very conscious of this.

Now, you might want to use the current research question as a preliminary research question, in that you'll use it to further your research for then to change it to fit the topics. If you aim to refine and improve the research question before you start writing, then all is good, but as it is right now, it's not a question I'd write my EE on. As caprialsun said, it needs to be rephrased, and there are the things I mentioned as well. 

Good lucK! 

• Like 2