Predicted Grades: Still Possible to Improve?

chloeolut

Hey Guys!

During the first semester of DP1, I did pretty well..

My grades were:          

HL;

Bio-5

Geo-7

English-6

SL 

Math-4 

French-7

Econ-5 

Total: 32/42

Now I feel my grades will end up like this end of this semester:

HL 

Econ-5

Biology-5

Geo-6

SL

Math 4

English-5

French-7

=32/42

However, I really want my teachers to improve my predicted grades up to at least 34 points, so that when I want to apply for universities on UCAS, I can finally get into a 'good' university, becuase my top choice is U of Birmingham or Surrey. Also, I DEFINTELY will work my butt off over the summer! I know I'm doing alright, but I want to do much better and show my teachers I want to improve. Also, I will work hard on my EE...

Is it still too late to improve before the predicted grades come out in September or not, because I will start working hard NOW!..Is there still hope?

Thanks!

Spoiler

Spoiler

Hey there,

Teachers cannot base the predicted grades on your ambition to work harder from now, they need to base it on what is the actual case - ie how you have performed till now. For you, unfortunately that seems to be around 32 points at the moment. You can try to convince your teachers to be a bit more lenient, but if they're not willing, then there's only so much you can do. 

Well you are in DP 1, You are applying next year after your first round of predicted grade is out. There is still time to improve your grade. I will not recommend you just go straight to your teacher and beg for 2 more points. For me, I can share my experience with you. In DP1, I dropped from 36/42 to 32/42, which I am not afraid because I know I will definitely do better in DP2, so now, my predicted grade went up to 41/45 (37/42) and I got into my university. There is definitely hope at this point, work hard on your TOK and EE, try for your best in DP2, and boom, you get a good grade for UCAS. 

Don't feel down just because you get 32/42, if you assume yourself getting that point, you will end up having it. Aim yourself a little higher so you feel motivated. 

Stay happy :)

If you need any help, send me a message and I will try to help you :D (I did apply to UK too btw!) 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Katethegreat said:

I think 32 out of 45 is a great score! Above the world average :) And that's without core as well! I'm in the same position as you and predicted 34 points with core and have also firmed university of Birmingham! Good luck and hopefully see you there :) 

Wait, but it's 6,6,5 at HL which they want..I really want to go there and I will work to improve my predicted grades up...:beccacalc:

Yeah the 6,6,5 is important, but what they're looking for more is that you achieve 17 points at HL, so even if you got 7,6,4 for example I'm sure that the 6,6,5 issue would be easy to get around as long as the 7/6 was in the subject you wanted to study there and that they wouldn't mind :) UoB is usually a 36 point  uni to get into and they really really want IB students so that's why they've lowered the grades because they're IB friendly :) Good luck with the 6,6,5!