HELP History IA

Hello

I am currently in the process of writing my historical investigation, and I now have a major problem! I finished writing my entire essay but was told by my teacher, that my question apparently was not acceptable anymore. My question was: What was Charles Lutwidge Dodgson literary reaction to the abolishment of slavery in 1865?

Could anyone give me some response on this, and tell me if this is okay or not? 

The problem is that I finished the entire essay based on that question, but because of what my teacher told me, I now have to restart writing the entire essay.

Hey there,

You've probably learnt a valuable lesson, then, in that it's smart verifying the topic before you start substantial work on it :) 

That question is unfortunately not really a question valid for history coursework in my opinion. The reason is that it sounds much more like a literary analysis rather than the study of history, which is probably why your teacher didn't accept your question. Right now you're basing your essay on literary work, you need to base it on history. A very easy way of doing this is to study causes and effects of particular events, policies or something like that, or look at why something happened the way it did - something along these lines.

Also, another point here is the fact that you're asking a 'what' question. What-questions are not conducive to proper analysis, as you can answer that very easily. Consider the following examples:

Question: What was the causes of the Korean War?
Answer: The Korean War was caused by X, Y and Z.

Question: To what extent was the Korean War primarily caused by X?
Answer: The Korean War was not primarily caused by X, but a combination of X and Y. This is because A, B, C. My research shows that Z was not that significant a factor because D, E, F. 

You see the difference? Make your research question analytical. That way, your essay will be analytical by nature. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1