Hey

This fall I'm starting the IB programme. Now, I'm thinking about subjects. I want to choose "easier" subjects because I wanna have time for myself in the IB. Also, I'm planning to study in the US or the UK something economy-bussiness-management related.

I've been thinking about choosing these subjects

ECONOMICS HL

GLOBAL POLITICS HL

ENGLISH B HL

MATH SL

ESS SL

MY NATIVE LANG SL

What do you think about this combination? Is it good/bad, easy/hard, good or bad for unis?

• Like 2

The combination is nice for you to enter economics and business field.

Let me remind you that UK may require Language A and some like LSE requires Math HL, English B HL in your combination will require you to take extra tests like IELTS or TOEFL (for UK and US) .  In addition, economics and global politics require good memorizing skills of definitions so you should be aware of that too. 

Good luck in IB. 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 1

Economics in the UK will in most cases require Maths HL. Business, however, will not. 

Also, I disagree about the need to have English A for the UK. I got into 7 universities in total, including some of the top ones (UCL, King's, Oxford), with English B, and my friends are at unis across UK with English B HL as well, none of us had to take TOEFL or IELTS. The fact that you are capable of studying in English is more than enough proof that you can handle university in this language. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gaby said:

Economics in the UK will in most cases require Maths HL. Business, however, will not. 

Also, I disagree about the need to have English A for the UK. I got into 7 universities in total, including some of the top ones (UCL, King's, Oxford), with English B, and my friends are at unis across UK with English B HL as well, none of us had to take TOEFL or IELTS. The fact that you are capable of studying in English is more than enough proof that you can handle university in this language. 

I've red horrible things about Math HL and I'm too scared to take it. Thanks for your advice!!

Edited by King112
No text speak please.

3 minutes ago, antonio7 said:

I've red horrible things about Math HL and I'm too scared to take it. Thanks for ur advice!!

It is a very tough subject, granted. But by  not taking it you're closing the door on good Economics programmes in the UK. So it's a matter of you deciding if you really want to do Econ, or will you by happy doing Business or Management. 

• Like 2

An assurance to you here: I applied to 5 UK Universities and I got into all of them with Math SL, 3 of which is Economics, 2 for Business and Management (Bath and King's). You should check the universities requirements on UCAS search, a very useful tool indeed. (Some universities that I know that requires Math HL: LSE [definitely], UCL[??] and a whole lot that I will not mention here because I do not remember a lot of them.)

Some mistakes in my previous post: English B Higher level and English B Standard level are highly likely to meet the criteria for CEFR level B2 in the four domains of reading, writing, listening and speaking. They are also both comparable with TOEFL and IELTS requirements. Why did I say about the testing criteria before? Because all of my classmates in my school who took English B SL / HL all took IELTS to apply to UK for safety, an extra proof to the university. It is optional. 

Edit: I got that quote from IBO 

http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/599acfec42b94ad9a2e0a351fd7f02d5/englishequivalencyletter_3-14.pdf 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 1

Want an easy lineup? Coincidentally, its also business-management related (at least from experience at my school)

Economics HL

Business Management HL

Sports Science HL

Maths Studies/SL

English SL

Native Language ab initio/SL

Not sure about your school, but ours can choose business as option on top of humanities, and also has this thing called 'Sports Science', which is pretty much bio but for people who want to become PE teachers (its the sad truth)

If you don't have Sport Science, then just stick with ESS. They're pretty much the same either way in terms of difficulty, I would guess. Free HL if you need it.

As for maths, some unis don't accept Studies level math for business/economics related courses, so keep that in mind also

Best of luck!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tim9800 said:

Want an easy lineup? Coincidentally, its also business-management related (at least from experience at my school)

Economics HL

Business Management HL

Sports Science HL

Maths Studies/SL

English SL

Native Language ab initio/SL

Not sure about your school, but ours can choose business as option on top of humanities, and also has this thing called 'Sports Science', which is pretty much bio but for people who want to become PE teachers (its the sad truth)

If you don't have Sport Science, then just stick with ESS. They're pretty much the same either way in terms of difficulty, I would guess. Free HL if you need it.

As for maths, some unis don't accept Studies level math for business/economics related courses, so keep that in mind also

Best of luck!

thank u so much!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, inriya said:

An assurance to you here: I applied to 5 UK Universities and I got into all of them with Math SL, 3 of which is Economics, 2 for Business and Management (Bath and King's). You should check the universities requirements on UCAS search, a very useful tool indeed. (Some universities that I know that requires Math HL: LSE [definitely], UCL[??] and a whole lot that I will not mention here because I do not remember a lot of them.)

Some mistakes in my previous post: English B Higher level and English B Standard level are highly likely to meet the criteria for CEFR level B2 in the four domains of reading, writing, listening and speaking. They are also both comparable with TOEFL and IELTS requirements. Why did I say about the testing criteria before? Because all of my classmates in my school who took English B SL / HL all took IELTS to apply to UK for safety, an extra proof to the university. It is optional. 

Edit: I got that quote from IBO 

http://www.ibo.org/contentassets/599acfec42b94ad9a2e0a351fd7f02d5/englishequivalencyletter_3-14.pdf 

thank you!! I don't have problems when it comes to english. Plus 2 years of IB will make my english even better