Quick Question?

yazzie

Ok so I've started writing my Extended Esay, which is titled "Language as a means of control in 1984" in English, and I realized that i forgot to ask whether or not i should like write a quick summary about the book, or should I just write my Extended Essay assuming the person whose going to read it knows what about the book and what im talking about and everything?

I still can't believe I forgot to ask that! so if anyone can help that would be great!

Thank you! =)

To be honest, it's 1984. And if the examiner doesn't know what 1984 is about, then what are they doing teaching English lit? Don't spend more than 50 words on it. If you really need to have it, you should make the summarisation a part of your analysis. summarise parts of it as you go along if you have to. Don't put in a huge paragraph at the very beginning just summarising the novel because that is really really boring and chances are they wont read it as much, then forget about it and then when you raise your points for analysis you have to mention the events again anyway.

So write things like, An example of defying control is when Winston writes in his diary. He hasn't written in so long that [describe his difficulties with writing]. This shows [analysis]

[quote name='IBStuck' post='26611' date='Oct 11 2008, 11:50 AM']when i wrote mine on lit i was told not to summerize the novel if i didn't have to. the grader will have already read the book., if they hadn't how would they know if your essay was good or not on the facts?[/quote]
So each grader is expected to know hundreds of obscure books that may not originate from their home country? A brief summary is enough as it's [i]1984[/i]. Is your topic any good though? Seems kind of overdone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='deissi' post='27106' date='Oct 21 2008, 01:41 PM']No, don't summarize. They're looking at your analytical ability, not your ability to paraphrase the book. Even if they haven't read the book, they should be able to follow it if you briefly introduce the main character etc.[/quote]
Sorry, that's what I meant. Introduction, not summary, hehe.