Best Kind of Pens to Use?

jjiang168

Hey guys! IB Exams are next week...that's pretty insane. To take the edge off, I've been scrolling aimlessly on here. Since IB created a new bs rule to ruin our lives this year (Can't use gen pens) I was wondering if anyone has a brand of erasable pens that they recommend? My favorites are pilot G2 pens and Fri Xion erasable and they are out of the question so I need to find a replacement quick. Thanks!

According to the Conduct of Exams for this year, the same (black and blue) pens are allowed as previous years. Note that you will have ample amount of space for all questions because you can always ask for more paper. Whatever you do, don't use whiteouts or pens that smear easily. If source of your information conflicts with what I have provided I would be happy to take a look.

It would be a good idea to not aimlessly scroll on this forum, but to get more revision done!

I don't use erasable pens. But I really recommend the Uni Click Gel.

The pen was super smooth, is dark and the ink dries quick. Really, I can't find a problem with the pen.

Although, I'd just say go to the stationary store and pick up any non erasable ink pen.

• Like 2

Sorry to confuse some of you. My IB supervisor said that regular black and blue pens are allowed but this year, they've banned all types of gel pens which includes some of the erasable ones. I'm just trying to find another type of erasables that are not gel. :)

I wouldn't use erasable pens to be honest! Lots of them just rub off or come off with heat - all you need is for somebody to stick your exam paper in a hot photocopier or to fax it and it's all gone. I distinctly remember once accidentally eliminating half of a page of notes with my hairdryer, had them behind me as I dried my hair and I'd blown a hole right through the middle of my writing. That was with a Frixion pen I think, by Pilot.

Just use permanent pens and cross it out unless you're braver than I am!

You used to be able to buy ink erasers for ink pens (the kind where you need cartridges) but I'm not sure if they still sell them. Ink erasers used to smell nasty and it would always be slightly blotchy writing over the 'erased' portion.

• Like 1

Do NOT use erasable pens. The ink will disappear under the heat of the scanner/photocopier etc. 

A few years back, a school in China gave all of the students [Which was over 1,000] erasable pens to use for their IB exams. When their exams were scanned, every single one came out blank. As this occurred to the entire school they knew something was wrong, but most likely it'll just be you using erasable, so to IB, it'll just look like you didn't write a single thing on any of the exams.

1 hour ago, Elca said:

Wait, Gel pen is banned? Even if it is black and blue? What? When did they say that? Crap.

Some answer this ASAP please, I've been using black gel pen since this Monday for my finals.

Same! I went through the Conduct of the Examinations doc our IB coordinator sent us and there's nothing in there about gel pens. I was just about to comment on this thread saying how MUJI gel pens are great to use. 

FYI I asked my IB coordinator about using gel pens and he said technically they are (or used to be?) banned/not considered appropriate to use, but what the examiners really care about is how visible your writing is. As long it's not erasable or another colour asides from black and blue, gel pens are fine.