Is IB worth it?

I am currently finishing my first year in the IB diploma. My current grade average is of 90. I am a Mexican student planning on applying to American universities in December. I think we all know that IB is VERY rigorous and I don't know if it is really worth it. The main reason why I'm staying in the diploma is in order to get into a good university. The alternative I have is taking three IB courses (I would choose HL Math, HL History, and SL Information & Technology in a Global Society) and I would probably raise my overall GPA. Do admissions officers really value the full IB diploma instead of just some courses?

Edited by Montse Muñoz

Really depends. Also really depends on your faculty/program of choice. I would recommend contacting the schools and specific faculties that you are considering applying to, and ask them about their take on IB, whether credits transfer, whether they convert IB points to percentages, etc. 

Out of my personal experience [admitted to USC, full DP, grade 12, got my exams tomorrow :(((((], a lot of schools don't understand how rigorous the program is, and will evaluate you on a scale they're more familiar with. That scale is not always fair. Also, they may take someone who's not doing IB, but who has a higher average, over you, when that person may be doing so much less work than you. Then there are schools who are really familiar with IB and value it properly. Those are pretty rare, especially in the United States. Also keep in mind that a lot of schools that say they value and understand IB - don't. 

I can't stress enough the importance of talking to specific faculties too. I'm an applicant for film production, so am basically an art student. In most cases, art students doing IB is a waste of our creative potential and time. 

Anyways, there really is no right or wrong answer to your question. It highly depends on you. Of course, if you do go along with it, keep in mind that your social life being gone for two years is not an exaggeration whatsoever. 

Good luck!

I think we all know that IB is VERY rigorous

Honestly, it really isn't, especially in first year. Our workload is more than normal programs but other than that, it's practically the same. IB won't directly help you get into university (Atleast here in Canada, they don't care at all) but it's worth it at the end of the day for the high marks, the inflation is crazy.

I would consider taking AP if you're only looking to get into American Universities as AP is much more respected in the US than IB. On the other hand, if you're looking to get into any UK universities, or even European ones, IB will be very very important. So in your case, your GPA and SAT score will be much more important. Also, I know a few friends who received acceptance into Ivy League schools even though they had only like...1 IB subject taken. So that's definitely proof you don't need IB to get into prestigious American universities. They've changed it into taking more well rounded students. 

Hope this helps! Toodles X

• 1 month later...