English A: Lang and Lit SL Paper 1

thecsstudent

Guest iblearner
11 minutes ago, charlesisbozo said:

Was it just me or was there really not a lot to analyse stylistic feature wise for text 2?

I thought the same too haha

18 minutes ago, charlesisbozo said:

Was it just me or was there really not a lot to analyse stylistic feature wise for text 2?

yeah i think so at first i thought it would be easier because of the visuals but then I didn't have a lot to say for the text so I switched

Guest iblearner
6 minutes ago, inriya said:

I did text 2 and I thought it was pretty easy. 

I am better with visual effects, when I see it, I know instantly there is like a point that I can write about, the pictures gave me some confidence :D

same :D

I did text 1. During the reading time I read the very first paragraph of text 1 and already found something to analyze, I think it was a simile or something like that. I decided not to even look at text 2 to save some reading time. Went pretty well! 

How do you see this paper compared to those from previous years? Because in my school we were expecting something else, I guess, and we felt this was different. 

I did text 1 as well, I think it was really interesting to analyse! 

8 hours ago, charlesisbozo said:

I agree with you, I found comparisons (Metaphors),  imagery, Parrellism, rhetorical questions and nothing more..  

What did you guys find? 

I tried to go beyond the general notion that the text was about gestures and I commented on how it was critiquing the role of women and men in society during the 1980's (since it was written in 1981).. anyone else pick up on that? 

37 minutes ago, Djsporting said:

I agree with you, I found comparisons (Metaphors),  imagery, Parrellism, rhetorical questions and nothing more..  

What did you guys find? 

I tried to go beyond the general notion that the text was about gestures and I commented on how it was critiquing the role of women and men in society during the 1980's (since it was written in 1981).. anyone else pick up on that? 

Well for me I didn't pick up a lot of stylistic devices, but I think that's what they want us to focus on more languages, values and importance of style. Visual style is easy when it gives readers a basic understanding. 

For written style, I could say the author categorized in different poses because it is a self-help book. The rhetorical questions were to address the audiences to attract them, throwing different examples is a way to address different varieties of audiences who are interested in the topic of the book. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, inriya said:

Well for me I didn't pick up a lot of stylistic devices, but I think that's what they want us to focus on more languages, values and importance of style. Visual style is easy when it gives readers a basic understanding. 

For written style, I could say the author categorized in different poses because it is a self-help book. The rhetorical questions were to address the audiences to attract them, throwing different examples is a way to address different varieties of audiences who are interested in the topic of the book. 

I also commented on the use of capital letters on the title, and the image placement to gather the attention of the audience. Also, the diction used was quite instructional. It was divided in to paragraph almost as if they were different sections, one direct at men, the other directed at women.. mixed feelings on this one. I think I messed up by commenting on the role of women and men. Ohh well :beccacalc:

Edited by Djsporting

27 minutes ago, Djsporting said:

I also commented on the use of capital letters on the title, and the image placement to gather the attention of the audience. Also, the diction used was quite instructional. It was divided in to paragraph almost as if they were different sections, one direct at men, the other directed at women.. mixed feelings on this one. I think I messed up by commenting on the role of women and men. Ohh well :beccacalc:

Don't think of that. I think your comparison between men and women is just accurate and clever. 

I just didn't know there was so many things that we had to analyse, but overall I am so satisfied with my performance in the exam (I didn't panic). Be positive about it <3 (maybe they will lower grade boundaries righttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt :nicole: let''s hope for that) 

Edited by inriya
  • Like 1

I did text 2 as well :nicole:But I think I talked about bit too much about the pictures. Idk how relevant it was to talk about the way the models  were dressed and how that related to the audience of the text like mostly professionals and stuff.... 

So anyone else write something similar to that  or was it just me :/ ?

Edited by TheIBwarrior

Guest iblearner
14 hours ago, Djsporting said:

What did you guys find? 

I talked mainly about the author's purpose and stuff; i also talked about how he connects body gestures in different contexts. I forgot what else I wrote lol

EDIT: I remember some stuff I wrote lol

I wrote about the time period, and how the fashion depicted in the sketches is different from the fashion that can be seen today, I talked about captions under the images/sketches, i talked about language (simple, conversational, how he tries to include the readers), subheading, rhetorical questions, etc :3

12 hours ago, inriya said:

I also commented on the use of capital letters on the title, and the image placement to gather the attention of the audience. Also, the diction used was quite instructional. It was divided in to paragraph almost as if they were different sections 

sameee~!

Edited by iblearner

I did my paper on Text 2.

Many of my friends have chosen text 1, and they said that there are A LOT of things to analyze. But since I am not a Biology student myself, I somehow do not have the same level of confidence as they had.

Nevertheless, as I approached text 2, I realized that even when most of the things aren't explicitly explained, there are still a ton of issues we can discuss. There are many controversial issues and society problems that the author has implied through his use of (lets say) structure. For example, the separation of the same idea into two paragraphs certainly distinguishes men and women in our society, as if they are meant to be separated in the eyes of the author. Additionally, the writer moves on to talk about how postures and gestures would first be challenged by themselves and their parents ( the theme of Man VS Individual) and then to the norms of their society (Man VS Society). 

Similarly, for the images, I felt like the intention of the author for placing the images beside the text isn't simply just to make readers understand the text better. I felt that because it had been so simply-drawn and used in such a minimalistic way (Black and White), the writer isn't trying to restrict the topic he is talking about to a certain group of people. He doesn't specify to which group of people or ethnicity in which this incidence can occur. Instead, the author allows the readers to relate themselves with the topic and to understand and comprehend the topic in their own way.

But overall, I am still doubtful that the examiners will like my answers. Fingers crossed though! :)

• Like 3