English A: Lang and Lit SL Paper 1

thecsstudent

Guest iblearner
6 minutes ago, Vincent Chandra Atmadja said:

I did my paper on Text 2.

Many of my friends have chosen text 1, and they said that there are A LOT of things to analyze. But since I am not a Biology student myself, I somehow do not have the same level of confidence as they had.

Nevertheless, as I approached text 2, I realized that even when most of the things aren't explicitly explained, there are still a ton of issues we can discuss. There are many controversial issues and society problems that the author has implied through his use of (lets say) structure. For example, the separation of the same idea into two paragraphs certainly distinguishes men and women in our society, as if they are meant to be separated in the eyes of the author. Additionally, the writer moves on to talk about how postures and gestures would first be challenged by themselves and their parents ( the theme of Man VS Individual) and then to the norms of their society (Man VS Society). 

Similarly, for the images, I felt like the intention of the author for placing the images beside the text isn't simply just to make readers understand the text better. I felt that because it had been so simply-drawn and used in such a minimalistic way (Black and White), the writer isn't trying to restrict the topic he is talking about to a certain group of people. He doesn't specify to which group of people or ethnicity in which this incidence can occur. Instead, the author allows the readers to relate themselves with the topic and to understand and comprehend the topic in their own way.

But overall, I am still doubtful that the examiners will like my answers. Fingers crossed though! :)

This is some really good analysis right here~! :D I discussed most of what you mentioned too~ hope the examiners like our answers!

I did Text 1. Lol most of my friends chose the same, cause there was barely anything to write about in text 2. I was hoping there would have been a better text 2 so when I read it I was like yep... nope back to text 1. HAHAA. But anyways what did you guys write about for text 1??

Btw my friend wrote 9 pages about text 2. I was legit on my second page of my first booklet and I looked at him and he was just starting his second booklet. I was like WTF??!! HAHAHA

I chose text 1 as well. It had lot of analogies, especially to sea and sound of river (onomatopoeia) and also was a form of promotional writing for encouraging readers who are about to decide carrier to know how good and peaceful is his career ( cardiologist) I suppose. Also the text had structure which grabbed attention of medical student readers by giving out few tips and how the studying in the field will be) Hence, there were lot of things to analyse in text 1. But I still hope the examiner likes it ✌

• 2 weeks later...