English A Literature HL Paper 1

ShootingStar16

I did the passage, the excerpt from Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I thought there was a lot to talk about. I ran out of time before I could talk about the tone of the passage, but I think the rest of my content was all good. I almost did the poem but felt more confident with the prose.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bwf8398 said:

I did the passage, the excerpt from Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I thought there was a lot to talk about. I ran out of time before I could talk about the tone of the passage, but I think the rest of my content was all good. I almost did the poem but felt more confident with the prose.

How much did you write? 

18 minutes ago, ShootingStar16 said:

How much did you write? 

About 10 pages (that is 10 sides of paper), but I wrote every other line (for the sake of easy revision/editing) and my handwriting is small, so I would guess around 6 pages for an average person. I had an introduction, 5-6 body paragraphs, and a conclusion.

37 minutes ago, bwf8398 said:

About 10 pages (that is 10 sides of paper), but I wrote every other line (for the sake of easy revision/editing) and my handwriting is small, so I would guess around 6 pages for an average person. I had an introduction, 5-6 body paragraphs, and a conclusion.

Damnn 

I have like medium-ish writing and had 6.5 pages single spaced 

5 minutes ago, ShootingStar16 said:

Damnn 

I have like medium-ish writing and had 6.5 pages single spaced 

I did the TZ1 HL  poem though, the mask one, but also wrote about 6 pages with average sized writing...hasanyone else that did the TZ1 poem??

14 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

I did the TZ1 HL  poem though, the mask one, but also wrote about 6 pages with average sized writing...hasanyone else that did the TZ1 poem??

I did the right mask poem too! How did you find it? What did you mention?

Just now, Malino said:

I did the right mask poem too! How did you find it? What did you mention?

Ah thank god, someone! I found it really good, I argued that it was protest by Patten against the traditional forms of poetry (odes, sonnets and themes of love nature etc) and how he wishes to move away form it and be allowed to write what he wants, and then i said the structure and lack of rhyme and traditional literary devices such as good rhyme schemes and structures,  also lends itself to this argument...however it might be comepltetly wrong, what did you write about??

4 minutes ago, eross said:

@JamVaun I did the TZ1 poem, but why did you call it the mask one? It was about a  machinist teaching his daughter piano right? 

I'm scared because I finished like 25 min early... :(:(

Hmm, im pretty sure i was TZ1 (UK) and my poem was definately called the right mask) and the prose was about a home cabin in the snowy woods... where are you located?

1 minute ago, JamVaun said:

Ah thank god, someone! I found it really good, I argued that it was protest by Patten against the traditional forms of poetry (odes, sonnets and themes of love nature etc) and how he wishes to move away form it and be allowed to write what he wants, and then i said the structure and lack of rhyme and traditional literary devices such as good rhyme schemes and structures,  also lends itself to this argument...however it might be comepltetly wrong, what did you write about??

Basically the same thing!! I found it hard to do literary analysis since the language was quite simple so in order to try and explore that I also talked about the religious imagery in the first stanza, the use of evocative language appealing to the senses and how painful it can be to actually show your true self because the poet was like screaming and tearing at his face haha. I spoke with my english teacher who said that the message of the poem was basically what you said so hopefully we'll be fine :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

Hmm, im pretty sure i was TZ1 (UK) and my poem was definately called the right mask) and the prose was about a home cabin in the snowy woods... where are you located?

Actually UK, as the rest of europe, is TZ2! :)

3 minutes ago, Malino said:

Basically the same thing!! I found it hard to do literary analysis since the language was quite simple so in order to try and explore that I also talked about the religious imagery in the first stanza, the use of evocative language appealing to the senses and how painful it can be to actually show your true self because the poet was like screaming and tearing at his face haha. I spoke with my english teacher who said that the message of the poem was basically what you said so hopefully we'll be fine :)

That's really reassuring! the majority of other people in my school said it had a hidden meaning and it the masks represented the people you meet in life, which I find it quite hard to understand... but my English teacher also said that it doesn't really matter what yu think it means as long as you argue your point...

25 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

I did the TZ1 HL  poem...

5 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

Hmm, im pretty sure i was TZ1 (UK)...

Hey are you all sure that TZ1 is the UK? I'm in America and fairly certain I my timezone is TZ1, but my poem was about a machinist and the prose was Swamplandia! :P

Anyways, I chose to analyze the poem. I hadn't finished reading the prose by the time the writing time started, and from what I did read, I couldn't find a clear message. Turns out I probably chose the much harder one, because most people in my school chose the prose! Oh well :) 

If any of my analysis was marginally correct, I'd be ecstatic. I have a bad habit of analyzing literature and saying the exact opposite of the conventional analysis. With respect to what I did write (and if it made any sense), I think I did pretty well. All of you have me worried about my writing length though! I only used one packet, pretty much fully. My handwriting, however, is horribly small, so I guess that makes up for it -- If I had to estimate, it would've been ~1000 words, which is what I usually write.

2 minutes ago, merging said:

I did the TZ1 poem, and talked about the human connection to music...

What did you guys interpret of it?

wow, i dont know how i could've got to that from the poem (you are talking about the right mask??) buts its impreesssive if thats the message you found in it

Just now, JamVaun said:

wow, i dont know how i could've got to that from the poem (you are talking about the right mask??) buts its impreesssive if thats the message you found in it

no i did the machinist teaches his daughter how to play the piano

do we have different poems?

1 minute ago, merging said:

no i did the machinist teaches his daughter how to play the piano

do we have different poems?

3 minutes ago, TheNintendoChip said:

Hey are you all sure that TZ1 is the UK? I'm in America and fairly certain I my timezone is TZ1, but my poem was about a machinist and the prose was Swamplandia! :P

Anyways, I chose to analyze the poem. I hadn't finished reading the prose by the time the writing time started, and from what I did read, I couldn't find a clear message. Turns out I probably chose the much harder one, because most people in my school chose the prose! Oh well :) 

If any of my analysis was marginally correct, I'd be ecstatic. I have a bad habit of analyzing literature and saying the exact opposite of the conventional analysis. With respect to what I did write (and if it made any sense), I think I did pretty well. All of you have me worried about my writing length though! I only used one packet, pretty much fully. My handwriting, however, is horribly small, so I guess that makes up for it -- If I had to estimate, it would've been ~1000 words, which is what I usually write.

Ye sorry guys, TZ1 covers IB in latin ameirca, norht america and the carribean and TZ2 covers the rest....

3 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

That's really reassuring! the majority of other people in my school said it had a hidden meaning and it the masks represented the people you meet in life, which I find it quite hard to understand... but my English teacher also said that it doesn't really matter what yu think it means as long as you argue your point...

Didn't even think of that but honestly it seemed a bit far-fetched and as I read in examiner's reports, they don't like it when students look for an inner morale meaning too much ahaha. Anyways I'm positive that if you live in the UK you are TZ2! :)

• Like 1