English A Literature HL Paper 1

ShootingStar16

13 minutes ago, Bayan N. said:

I'm TZ1 and chose the machinist poem. I talked about how it showed the similarities between a parent-child relationship and a master/teacher- student relationship. 

I talked about the significance of music and the effect it has on relationships between individuals as well as on the individual himself. 

I talked about the title, italicized words, lack of rhyme scheme, imagery associated with the machinist, shift in focus between characters and a wee bit of punctuation. 

I don't know how that sounds :P 

Edited by ShootingStar16

Just now, ShootingStar16 said:

I think you're TZ2 

My paper said TZ1 

29 minutes ago, JamVaun said:

Ye sorry guys, TZ1 covers IB in latin ameirca, norht america and the carribean and TZ2 covers the rest....

Yep your right, my mistake^^

@merging  @ShootingStar16 @Bayan N.

I talked about the connections between the sounds of the machine and the music of the piano, as well as the connection/bond between the daughter and father/ student and teacher. I focused more on diction & word choice, and the use of similes and metaphors in order to represent this connection. I'm not sure if I did well though

I think I made the same comparison between the lathe and the piano. I recall explaining that the "listener" was a personification of their relationship: Half from the daughter, half from the father. I also remember saying something like how they both wanted the other to do something (the father wanted to teach because the piano was really all that he had, the daughter wanted to learn to make her father proud), but were both failing to achieve this (hence why the daughter was pretty much praying). I focused on the structure of the poem (because it was like a piano!!), juxtaposition, diction, aural imagery/dissonance, and simile. 

13 minutes ago, eross said:

I talked about the connections between the sounds of the machine and the music of the piano, as well as the connection/bond between the daughter and father/ student and teacher. I focused more on diction & word choice, and the use of similes and metaphors in order to represent this connection. I'm not sure if I did well though

Ya same. I talked about the the word choice and the verbs associated with the machinist and pianist. I missed out on the music aspect. I also talked about the title and the uniform structure.

On 03/05/2016 at 3:29 PM, bwf8398 said:

I did the passage, the excerpt from Swamplandia! by Karen Russell. I thought there was a lot to talk about. I ran out of time before I could talk about the tone of the passage, but I think the rest of my content was all good. I almost did the poem but felt more confident with the prose.

I also did Swamplandia! but I thankfully got everything I wanted to talk about in. I liked the poem but didn't feel like I could write that much on it.

I talked about the relationship between the narrator and both parents and how they switch from personal to impersonal and some other stuff I don't really remember right now!

Edited by afern98

1 hour ago, afern98 said:

I also did Swamplandia! but I thankfully got everything I wanted to talk about in. I liked the poem but didn't feel like I could write that much on it.

I talked about the relationship between the narrator and both parents and how they switch from personal to impersonal and some other stuff I don't really remember right now!

I put a lot about the clear cultural differences between the wealthy tourists and the poorer island residents (since they had to use a makeshift stage for example), and the characterization of the tourists as selfish (elbowing the narrator out of the way to ask Hilola for an autograph). I thought the point of view of the passage was really interesting, since the narrator didn't really do anything throughout it and was mostly reminiscing about how Hilola's performances were.

I also liked the poem but thought the prose would be easier

8 minutes ago, bwf8398 said:

I put a lot about the clear cultural differences between the wealthy tourists and the poorer island residents (since they had to use a makeshift stage for example), and the characterization of the tourists as selfish (elbowing the narrator out of the way to ask Hilola for an autograph). I thought the point of view of the passage was really interesting, since the narrator didn't really do anything throughout it and was mostly reminiscing about how Hilola's performances were.

I also liked the poem but thought the prose would be easier

I had a similar thing with the tourists, though I didn't touch on the wealth aspect. I looked at it more through the lens of how the tourists were using the island residents' culture for their own entertainment but how it didn't seem like a true representation of the culture (with the massive difference between the mother's persona as Hilola and as a mother and a few other examples I'm blanking on). For the perspective I also talked about how the narrator seems to almost be in between because they sit with the tourists to watch it but also have seen it so many times they know what's going on. 

5 minutes ago, afern98 said:

I had a similar thing with the tourists, though I didn't touch on the wealth aspect. I looked at it more through the lens of how the tourists were using the island residents' culture for their own entertainment but how it didn't seem like a true representation of the culture (with the massive difference between the mother's persona as Hilola and as a mother and a few other examples I'm blanking on). For the perspective I also talked about how the narrator seems to almost be in between because they sit with the tourists to watch it but also have seen it so many times they know what's going on. 

That's really good! I definitely had a sense of that, but I couldn't articulate it nearly that eloquently on the exam. I had some point about the mother's "livid lettering" on the sign, but I've already forgotten what it was, haha. I also had a rather lengthy discussion about Hilola's transformation from the "Swamp Wrestler" (or whatever she was called) to Mom, since there was a line about her becoming Mom again once she was back on dry land. I said it was a way for the narrator to distance himself emotionally somewhat due to the dangerous nature of her work. Then I noticed that she was called "Mom" at several points during the swim, but I claimed that was retrospective and that at the time, she wouldn't have been identified as "Mom." I hope that's not too much of a stretch for IB.

Just now, bwf8398 said:

That's really good! I definitely had a sense of that, but I couldn't articulate it nearly that eloquently on the exam. I had some point about the mother's "livid lettering" on the sign, but I've already forgotten what it was, haha. I also had a rather lengthy discussion about Hilola's transformation from the "Swamp Wrestler" (or whatever she was called) to Mom, since there was a line about her becoming Mom again once she was back on dry land. I said it was a way for the narrator to distance himself emotionally somewhat due to the dangerous nature of her work. Then I noticed that she was called "Mom" at several points during the swim, but I claimed that was retrospective and that at the time, she wouldn't have been identified as "Mom." I hope that's not too much of a stretch for IB.

I said the same thing about distancing! I put it down to being because the division between Mom and Swamp Wrestler was so artificially created that the narrator couldn't keep it up and that it was all for the tourists.

22 hours ago, eross said:

I did something similar to this. I talked about the diction and style, and I talked about oxymoron and enjambment present as well. 

I chose The Right Mask and talked about how through the poem and the poet and the mask, Patten was trying to convey the modern struggle of finding and accepting true individual identity but when I asked my teacher he said it was fine if I backed it up, but that it was supposed to be more specifically about the artist's struggle. sigh. 

Edited by Katethegreat

8 hours ago, Katethegreat said:

I chose The Right Mask and talked about how through the poem and the poet and the mask, Patten was trying to convey the modern struggle of finding and accepting true individual identity but when I asked my teacher he said it was fine if I backed it up, but that it was supposed to be more specifically about the artist's struggle. sigh. 

Thats what the majority of my class wrote about! although I said it was a protest against traditional poetry :/ I am sure yours was fine

45 minutes ago, tanu said:

I got the Right Mask by Brian Patten just like all of you in TZ1 and managed to identify loads of literary devices, the most significant being the personification of 'the poem' in the Poem. I felt that it all came down to the relationship that an artist and his art. The masks were all alternate realities- facades that the poet was asked to pick. This clearly shows how the poet lacks individuality. The Poem seemed hurried and rushed- understood through enjambment of lines. The Poem is rich in emotion. I did elaborate in much more depth. Going to go continue prepping for Math :/ Anyone share similar thoughts or wrote something alike?

Let me know! :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HL - English Literarture 

HL - Psychology

HL - Business Management 

SL - Math Studies

SL - French Ab

SL- Biology

*insert lyrics of HSM anthem We're all in this together*

Isn't that TZ2? o.O Because my exam said TZ1 and I got different passages...

Anyways that sounds like a nice poem :D 

On 5/3/2016 at 2:59 AM, JamVaun said:

I did the TZ1 HL  poem though, the mask one, but also wrote about 6 pages with average sized writing...hasanyone else that did the TZ1 poem??

I got the Right Mask by Brian Patten just like all of you in TZ1 and managed to identify loads of literary devices, the most significant being the personification of 'the poem' in the Poem. I felt that it all came down to the relationship that an artist and his art. The masks were all alternate realities- facades that the poet was asked to pick. This clearly shows how the poet lacks individuality. The Poem seemed hurried and rushed- understood through enjambment of lines. The Poem is rich in emotion. I did elaborate in much more depth. Going to go continue prepping for Math :/ Anyone share similar thoughts or wrote something alike?

Let me know! :) I wrote like 4 1/2 pages in super small hand-writing. For a normal person with like average size handwriting it would come to maybe around 8 pages, I'm guessing.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HL - English Literarture 

HL - Psychology

HL - Business Management 

SL - Math Studies

SL - French Ab

SL- Biology

*insert lyrics of HSM anthem We're all in this together*

Edited by tanu

On 5/6/2016 at 0:29 PM, Katethegreat said:

I talked about how the poet was struggling to find himself since he was insecure about himself, how he thought all those other masks were not himself and didn't suit him, how they were what people expected him to write etc...so I think I complete misinterpreted the poem :( Did all of you feel that the ending to The Right Mask was quite disturbing though? Especially when the poem said it's finally the right mask....