Biology Paper 1 & 2 HL

kyriakosr21

10 hours ago, matigora said:

In section B, there was question 7 (c) marked for 8 points, with the message sth like this: "In hot temperatures the rate of transpiration in plants is very high. Outline the structures and proccesses that allow the water to be replaced". Can somebody recall the exact content of the question? What have you written there? Together with class mates we had the argue, whether we should write there everything from absorption water, move of water in the xylem, structure of xylem, cohesion-adhesion and so on, or we should write about adaptations of xerophytes? Since they asked about water REPLACEMENT, I suppose we had to write everything about the structure of xylem and movement of water, but I'm not sure. What do you think guys?

I wrote about xylem transport, water up-take & adaptations of xerophytes, just to be safe. If they mentioned a hot arid climate, i would assume they'd want you to comment (however little) on specificities regarding that climate. 

I found Paper 1 more challenging than Paper 2, lots of the questions for Paper 1 had multiple answers that could theoretically be correct :/ 

Edited by aador

On the subject of paper 1, who actually understood that question about surface area having an impact? The one with the choices of absorption of glucose, release of surfactant, release of enzymes?

I was stuck between (a) (kidney/glucose) and (d) (villi/enzyme) the entire time because while I knew villi surface area is vital for maximized absorption, I wasn't sure if release of enzyme is significantly affected by such. 

57 minutes ago, Elca said:

On the subject of paper 1, who actually understood that question about surface area having an impact? The one with the choices of absorption of glucose, release of surfactant, release of enzymes?

I was stuck between (a) (kidney/glucose) and (d) (villi/enzyme) the entire time because while I knew villi surface area is vital for maximized absorption, I wasn't sure if release of enzyme is significantly affected by such. 

I think it was proximal convoluted tubule and glucose because in the answer with villi in small intestine they suggested that enzymes are released by the villi; the pancreatic juices are released from pancreas though.

• Like 1

Paper 1 is tricky, according to my opinion. For the bubbles at bread question, what did you guys answer?

Paper 2 is tricky too. When it asked to draw the fatty acid, I died a little bit on the inside as I did not remember the structure :mellow:

For evaluating the effectiveness of embryonic stem cells, I compared it with the umbilical cord stem cells and wrote about how for faster results embryonic stem cells are better since it only took a number of days to take its effect on mices, however, for more drastic effects, I wrote that umbilical cord stem cells would be better despite taking a longer time for the effects to show.

There is also another question where it asked using embryonic stem cells on the second page, I answered that since embryonic stem cells have the ability to differentiate to any other cells and carries a lower risk of possible mutations so it is an effective way to cure diabetes, as this is shown in the results of the study.

I chose 5a as well where it asked the activity of enzyme, it is quite confusing really. So I answered by what enzymes are, how they work (by binding substrate to the active site to make a product) and how is essential to life processes such as digestion where the enzyme amylase in saliva can convert starch (substrate) to maltose (product). I hope I'm right :beccacalc:.

For the close-up diagram of the small intestine what did u guys answer? I wrote epithelial wall and lumen but I'm not sure since I didn't revise Chapter 6 much. I also found the cladogram question quite tricky. 

For those who chose the question 6 for section B, what did u guys answer for what happen when plant tissues is put in hypertonic solution?

1 hour ago, #teamnosleep said:

Paper 1 is tricky, according to my opinion. For the bubbles at bread question, what did you guys answer?

Paper 2 is tricky too. When it asked to draw the fatty acid, I died a little bit on the inside as I did not remember the structure :mellow:

For the close-up diagram of the small intestine what did u guys answer? I wrote epithelial wall and lumen but I'm not sure since I didn't revise Chapter 6 much. I also found the cladogram question quite tricky. 

For those who chose the question 6 for section B, what did u guys answer for what happen when plant tissues is put in hypertonic solution?

Paper 1: I answered CO2, since it mentioned "dough" and not a "cooked bread", or something of equivalence. 

Paper 2: iirc, for the small intestine diagram, I think I answered circular and longitudinal muscle... not too entirely sure either, human physiology was never my forte. 

5 hours ago, #teamnosleep said:

The one on the outside is the circular muscle, and the one closer to the lumen is the longitudinal muscle :)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Schrodinger's CAS said:

The one on the outside is the circular muscle, and the one closer to the lumen is the longitudinal muscle :)

Are tou sure it is not the other way round? There was a mistake in Oxford study guide.. :(

Edited by wojtek
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, =-= said:

I did the TZ0 papers and I didnt understand the data response questions...if ur in the same timezone as I am they were about embryonic stem cells and umbilicalcord stem cells. The question about the evaluation of the effectiveness of stem cells in treating type 1 diabetes was soooo confusing...unbilical cord stem cells arent embryonic stem cells right?😂😂

also, question 5a was totally confusing--the activity of enzymes. I wrote about enzymes lowering the activation energy and talked about some other stuff, but my friends talked about the induced fit model and lock and key hypothesis. 

Anyways, hoping for a lower boundary:((

I hated Section A and so did everyone in my class. But ya there's a difference between embryonic stem cells and umbilical cord stem cells. Embryo stem cells come from IVF and such and generally the embryo doesn't grow and become a foetus and umbilical cord are harvested after birth. But ya, due to the enzymes thing, I didn't do 5. I did 6 and 7.

The first few questions of paper 1 were really nice and got me feeling really optimistic about the paper as a whole, definitely got worse as it went along LOL. Not the worst paper 1 I've ever seen but not the best either. The major problem was that I had some time left over and started to doubt myself big time looking back over my answers... I even broke my #1 rule and changed a few (which I know I always regret). The question themselves were not THAT hard but I definitely felt the nature of the suggested answers were such that they really made you doubt your own knowledge!

Paper 2 was OK but also not the best ever. Felt good about paper 3 though so fingers crossed!

19 hours ago, Elc said:

Paper 1: I answered CO2, since it mentioned "dough" and not a "cooked bread", or something of equivalence. 

Paper 2: iirc, for the small intestine diagram, I think I answered circular and longitudinal muscle... not too entirely sure either, human physiology was never my forte. 

Paper 1: Yes I put CO2 as well because I recognized it as being something that forms bubbles in dough in the cell resp chapter.

Paper 2: I got that wrong because I confused the circular muscle with something else but yes those were the two parts. As long as you put circular for the outer layer and inner layer as longitudinal than you are good :D 

9 minutes ago, Steven Nanda said:

But smooth muscle is basically longitudinal/circular right? 

Yeah but U have to distinguish between them I guess. I put circular muscle for both just in case. I wanted to play safe.

Just now, Steven Nanda said:

Daayum there goes my two points!! :(

For my data based questions screwed me. :( I lost like at least 8 points from the data based questions. 

53 minutes ago, Lovelife said:

For my data based questions screwed me. :( I lost like at least 8 points from the data based questions. 

This year is seriously a hard year, especially because we're the first batch to do the new syllabus. I'm just hoping the boundaries would be lower, cuz I still have hope in getting a 6 :/

Overall I think both papers were good, although the ratio of understanding to application and skills content was rather different from the OCC specimen papers, with the specimens being a lot more applications and skills based than the real paper. I found paper 1 to contain some very obvious questions, such as the one defining veins and arteries, the homologous/analogous structures one and the Krebs cycle, whilst others were a bit more misleading.

Paper 2 was also a challenging but overall good paper, again with a small unbalance between the ratio of understanding to application and skills content. The Section  B questions in my opinion were restricted to few topics, but were definitely doable. The data based question about diabetes was definitely one of the best data based questions, whilst the cladogram one was just a bit wired in terms of how it was set out.