Biology Paper 1 & 2 HL

kyriakosr21

13 hours ago, TheNintendoChip said:

I first defined what a hypertonic solution was (more concentration of solute outside than inside), and that because of this water moves out by osmosis and the solute diffuses inside (which I'm not sure happens 100% of the time). Following this, the vacuole decreases in size, reducing turgor pressure. I also drew a little diagram to visually show what happens. The cell wall doesn't shrink, just the inside contents. 

The right term for plant cell in hypertonic solution should be plasmolysed, correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheNintendoChip said:

I first defined what a hypertonic solution was (more concentration of solute outside than inside), and that because of this water moves out by osmosis and the solute diffuses inside (which I'm not sure happens 100% of the time). Following this, the vacuole decreases in size, reducing turgor pressure. I also drew a little diagram to visually show what happens. The cell wall doesn't shrink, just the inside contents. 

Prokaryotic DNA replication, from what I understand, is pretty much the same as Eukaryotic DNA replication.

Damn, I only mentioned that due to the plant tissues being in the hypertonic solution, osmosis and diffusion will occur as the molecules inside will move to a higher concentration to a lower one. Therefore, the plant tissue will shrink. Regretting my answer so bad now :(. 

5 hours ago, inriya said:

A lot of people has signed the petition, but that does not mean that everyone has to sign it. I do not know if people really reflected on themselves before even signing for the petition on how much time and effort did they put in Biology. Yes, level of preparation may not be enough for a lot of people due to time, but it is their own fault too than blaming it on IB for giving an "unreasonable" (yet in syllabus) paper, which the questions are a bit tricky and require a more detail and in-depth answer from your observation and knowledge.

I may not get a good score in the end, but I am satisfied and confident that I am prepared for it because I really paid effort to Biology HL Paper 1,2 and 3 for 4 months.  This is why I am standing out to say, the petition is not reasonable at all.

Let me analysis on a difficult paper, paper 2. After so many practices on Paper 2, the contents on the exam were what I have expected. Q1a to j, 3 experimental data that are interconnected to each other. Then, Q2,3&4 will be testing your knowledge on different area. I must admit this year's paper is more focused on human physiology, but look carefully, it asks something related, aerobic respiration (chapter 2,8) , function of mitochondria (chapter 1), hormones (6), etc.... Last but not least, the essay questions, I did 5 and 6 so I do not know about 7. 5 asks about enzymes (chapter 2 and 8) and some more chapters. 6 asks you about the diagram of phospholipid bilayer (fluid mosaic model) (chapter 2) the function of liver (chapter 6 and 11 AHL) 

The paper 2 is quite a nice variety but more focused on Human Physiology, no doubt. If you think it is difficult, look at 2015 May paper that asks you about the outcome of Human Genome Project of 4 marks with some more scarier essay questions, that time they should have started a petition then for "giving out too tricky and non-mainstream essay questions". -_-

Sorry for being sarcastic here but I am not trying to insult or accuse anyone here (especially not to @#teamnosleep because I quoted from you), just speaking from my point of view and gut.

I only mentioned the fact that a lot of people signed the petition because if a lot of people signed the petition, then that means there's a huge possibility that this petition will be send to IB. If this is sent to IB then it will have huge consequences on how the IB science papers will be marked this year.

To be honest, I don't think the Bio paper we did is out of this world, it seems that a lot of people are unprepared for it. That's why they're taking advantage of the situation with Physics kids for their own benefit. I know a friend of mine who signed the petition because she thinks by signing the petition there will be a chance that the grade boundaries will be lowered as she didn't study the topics that came out on the SL paper this year. So I think it is a possibility that a lot of people signed the petition just for the sake of lowering grade boundaries, not actually protesting the IB, if you know what I mean.

42 minutes ago, #teamnosleep said:

Damn, I only mentioned that due to the plant tissues being in the hypertonic solution, osmosis and diffusion will occur as the molecules inside will move to a higher concentration to a lower one. Therefore, the plant tissue will shrink. Regretting my answer so bad now :(. 

At least you mentioned diffusion. I didn't ..... But does diffusion really occur ?

i thought the test went well paper 1 was meh some ups and downs some hard some easy mostly fairly do-able tho. Paper 2 however was a bit more challenging I dont want to say it was my hardest exam because it was still content that i should've studied nothing that i did not know at one point in my life I'm honestly hoping just to get 4's on all my exams lol i just want to pass but realistically im hoping for a 6 on Bio we'll see 

On 5/5/2016 at 0:38 AM, wojtek said:

I don't really know what happed but it looks like we all have the same timezone TZ0 O.o Yeah i also mentioned induced fit model at some point as it shows specifity of an enzyme.. We are all hoping for low boundaries because for most people those papers were relatively though

For the enzymes bit I was not sure as to what I should include. I also mentioned the specificity of an enzyme, but I also tried to explain how an enzyme is able to weaken the bonds between molecules (or something like that) which leads to less activation energy required for the reaction to happen.

1 hour ago, AnjaDe said:

Diffusion of water molecules, which is osmosis, I don't think that the solute moves across the membrane

no.. I think he was right. Diffusion is the movement of molecules, and osmosis is the movement of water. 

Guest iblearner

It's all up to how IB fixes the grade boundaries. If the world average drops, the mar boundary will be fixed accordingly. Any sort of debate and discussion cannot change that. 

lol honestly just hoping for a 5 on bio. The paper 1 was a bit tricky but I felt a little more secure on the paper 2 but both were pretty iffy for me. For the paper 2 i did the question over prokaryote dna replication and the plant one i think that was 5 and 7.

On 2016/5/6 at 8:43 AM, #teamnosleep said:

There is also another question where it asked using embryonic stem cells on the second page, I answered that since embryonic stem cells have the ability to differentiate to any other cells and carries a lower risk of possible mutations so it is an effective way to cure diabetes, as this is shown in the results of the study.

No, that's wrong. There's a high risk for embryonic stem cells to become cancer cells, so even though they're effective, their use is very dangerous.