World Studies EE- Physics/History, Question Clarification

LordTywin

Hey,

I'm an IB Student nearing the end of my first year of IB. I've recently started working on my EE, and had a few questions in relation to how I should set about this.

My Question (still in development) is around the lines of: To what extent was the historical impact of the Sputnik program greater than the scientific impact? I would analyze the launches of Sputnik 1, 2, and 3, and compare whether or not their contribution to the fields of Science is outweighed by their impact on the Cold War and US-Soviet Relations. I have a top notch adviser, so I have high hopes for this topic. He told me it was an engaging, interesting question, but we haven't discussed it in depth as of yet.

I have 2 questions:

1. Are there any flaws or drawbacks to this question that I could address? (ex. It's too broad, focus more on XXXXX, etc.)

2. What would you recommend for me to do first when planning the essay? (Should I research the subject to pieces before putting pen to paper? Or make a basic outline?)

Any and all help is appreciated!

Tywin Out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I am also at this stage for my EE, I want to do a world studies one in history and physics, something with space in or space exploration as I am interested in Astrophysics.

This seems like a good question to me, you just have to make sure you could write 3500-4000 words on it, (19-20 pages). It sounds like a really good question, especially if you do history because we study the Cold War a lot. 

I think it would be best to do a bit of basic research and note down important facts and dates so that you can pull together some paragraphs, and once you have found the key areas, draw up a basic plan. Don't forget to make a note of the links for the bibliography though! Then you can start to form an actual write up.

Do you have any ideas of what I could do, something similar to this area? 

Hope this helped :)