IB Music

iotabebraindead

I don't believe this!! I never even knew there was such a thing as IB Music!!!!

I live at the end of the world, where we are deprived of such brilliance, but by some act of God, an IB was developed. When I first heard about IB Music and then saw online syllabuses, I could not help but feel angry/depressed that I've been missing out on combining two loves: IB and music!

If anybody is in IB Music, can you please discuss it with me? I am dying to hear about it.

I don't believe this!! I never even knew there was such a thing as IB Music!!!!

I live at the end of the world, where we are deprived of such brilliance, but by some act of God, an IB was developed. When I first heard about IB Music and then saw online syllabuses, I could not help but feel angry/depressed that I've been missing out on combining two loves: IB and music!

If anybody is in IB Music, can you please discuss it with me? I am dying to hear about it.

Teehee. I have it. I will elaborate another time. In school (message me if you can......I'm forgetful)

sayonara =)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I feel the same way! I only found out about it when I was choosing my extended essay (of which music is my subject) and asked my IB coordinator about it.

I could care less about the learning of theory or studying composers, I do that at home of my own will and would love to take it as a class! But, alas, my school only has visual arts and theatre (which I hate with a passion).

You guys who have are soooooooo cherished!

Gosh, I hate being in a class with Pre-IB students... DX Especially when the teacher is more of an ensemble teacher... so not helpful! He just goes over with songs that we're doing for our shows and choreography to it. He just told us to know the major and minor scales and then just told us to go straight to our Investigative Questions. After researching a little more about Music Theory, I noticed that there are more things to do than just doing what we're doing and it's pissing me off! I love learning about Music and want to have a real class and going off to the band teacher who knows way more about the stuff than my Music Theory teacher is just BS and a slap to that Music teacher's face.

This is just not me though, since I've already composed some songs myself but to all the rest of the 2010 Music Theory candidates but one. They don't know how to cite read that well (except for the band captain) and are basically stuck with their Investigative Questions since the teacher hasn't bugged us about it.

DX I really need major help with Music Theory... so what ARE we supposed to be learning? 'Cause this is just full of BS from the school where I'm in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have IB Music SL at my school.

It is always a small class through since students tend to concentrate themselves in Psychology, Art, or Physics and their sixth subjects.

We went through the different periods of music looked at features, what was going on at the time, and techniques of composers.

Then we looked at music of certain world cultures (gamelan, native american, scottish bagpipes, middle eastern, bollywood, chinese, etc.)

We also had to do numerous themed compositions such as music set to poems, duet with piano and solo instrument, music for the instrument we play, and a couple more. Once the compositions were done we would have to perform it and get it recorded by our teacher.

The class was really fun and completely laid back. I wish it were offered to more schools.

The test is pretty interesting as well. They give you several music selections on a cd and you has to analyse them in terms of style, context, melody, meter, harmony, medium, and form.

• 1 month later...

They offer IB Music at my school. I took it for one year (traditionally we have to take it for two, even if we're taking the SL test, but I had a scheduling constraint, so I took it in one). I got a 5. Our teacher was really awful, and I hear it's gotten a lot worse this year. It's tended to be known as a slack class (and definitely was when I took it!). The test is lots of fun, though! Yay for analyzing music!

• 1 month later...

i'm in it for choir, but i never really had much explained to me about it. i just picked it because i planned on doing choir anyway and thought it would be an easy way to get my IB elective credit. turns out it's more difficult than i thought, apparently there actually is some work involved :D

i'm on of two in my year that's doing it, but we don't have a separate class by ourselves. we're just in the schools normal choir class.

• 1 year later...

IB Music is probably the most relaxed HL there is (in my experience). Sure, the internals require some work, but it is all manageable and shouldn't be too hard to score well. Analysing the music is probably the most challenging for me, but that's not the be all or end all (only worth 30% of the entire mark) and there's a lot of theory work which is quite interesting to study :yes:

I enjoyed it. The only thing that was really disappointing was the fact that my teacher did not believe I could make it through HL when he hasn't seen my composition. He told me my theory was excellent and that I would have no problem analyzing the music. Sigh, if I could go back, I would have definitely force my IB Coordinator to let me take HL. Same exams and investigation. Just different IA's.

• 2 months later...