IB Physics HL P1/P2

Razorlance

13 minutes ago, Sandy said:

paulakalnina At least you had sense to not take it at HL. xp

I heard there were common questions in both papers and even HL people weren't able to solve them

My best friend took the HL one and she said it was just as insane. And I mean it when I say SL was crazy. I had studied my butt off for that exam and felt ready. However... This happened. I legit cried! I never expected to do so poorly.

How was the exam like? What made it really difficult from previous exams? Did they require you to think out of the box?

I'm gonna be starting the IB this September and I'm gonna be taking Physics HL. Just wondering how the new Physics syllabus is like.

4 minutes ago, Daryl Ryan said:

How was the exam like?

Well the exam wasn't so good..which you might have picked up on by now but anyways, 

6 minutes ago, Daryl Ryan said:

What made it really difficult from previous exams? Did they require you to think out of the box?

It was completely different from past papers which was expected since this is a new syllabus, I just wasn't expecting so much change. Also, they didn't ask anything from mechanics or thermodynamics in p2 which was not good since they're the easiest topics. That said, its HL so I did expect the paper to be tough. Yes, it did require you to think out of the box, like moth science and math HL subjects do - keep that in mind while choosing.

8 minutes ago, Daryl Ryan said:

I'm gonna be starting the IB this September and I'm gonna be taking Physics HL. Just wondering how the new Physics syllabus is like.

The syllabus seemed okay, you know. It wasn't that tough from looking at the book. The paper though...another story. Basically, you'll be able to score as long as you're good at physics, know what things to expect and as long as IB doesn't give a ****ty paper like they did this time.

29 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

I cannot believe this you guys. All of the topics covered in the exam were explicitly stated in the Syllabus. I have done the HL paper 1 and 2 and they were very okay. The main reason why lots of people complain about the difficulty of the exam is because they were hoping for some questions that usually appear in previous syllabus. This new syllabus puts much more emphasis understanding and application than just memorising simple definitions or generic questions. 

Tbh, I can't say that I completely agree considering that the material that appeared in the papers were not present in textbooks published by IBO's collaborators (Oxford, etc) nor were they mentioned explicitly in the syllabus change guide.

Edited by Animate
  • Like 1

Guest iblearner

Paper 1 was okay. Paper 2 was the worst. 

There was a mistake in the paper too, i think. A lot of people think, including myself, that they hadn't given us the value of D in the wave question in paper 2. 

This paper must have just been the first draft. IB must have accidentally published the wrong paper. 

Edited by iblearner

10 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Well the exam wasn't so good..which you might have picked up on by now but anyways, 

It was completely different from past papers which was expected since this is a new syllabus, I just wasn't expecting so much change. Also, they didn't ask anything from mechanics or thermodynamics in p2 which was not good since they're the easiest topics. That said, its HL so I did expect the paper to be tough. Yes, it did require you to think out of the box, like moth science and math HL subjects do - keep that in mind while choosing.

The syllabus seemed okay, you know. It wasn't that tough from looking at the book. The paper though...another story. Basically, you'll be able to score as long as you're good at physics, know what things to expect and as long as IB doesn't give a ****ty paper like they did this time.

So sorry to hear that you had to sit through that paper :(  Hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect the changes in this paper and be set accordingly. They'll probably do something about it, so don't worry too much :) 

Guest iblearner
7 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

Well first of all IBO is not responsible for publishing IB textbooks. Secondly, if you have used K. A. Tsokos textbook 6th edition, you wouldn't have much trouble with paper 2. And lastly, can you please give me a question that appear on the paper which was not stated in the syllabus.

Btw, let me remind you of of the questions. 

Q1, Newtons laws of mechanics and energy conservation. 

Q2. Thermal physics and determination of the specific latent heat. 

Q3. Wave motion and longitudinal waves. 

Q4. Electric circuit and kirckoff loop law. 

Q5 Gravitational field strength and the determination of the direction and magnitude of the net gravitation field strength. 

Q6 Particle physics, 

Q7 Multiple diffraction interference and the resolving power of a diffraction grating. 

Q8. Capacitors

Q9. Some aspects of nuclear and quantum physics. 

and some few more that I don't remember

So are you telling that all this stuff is not in the syllabus ? 

Sure, no question was beyond the syllabus. But the questions were difficult. They were harder than we expected. 

Judging from your reply, you must have aced the exam. Well, good for you. 

6 minutes ago, iblearner said:

Sure, no question was beyond the syllabus. But the questions were difficult. They were harder than we expected. 

Judging from your reply, you must have aced the exam. Well, good for you. 

ditto

Edited by Animate

Paper 1 was the biggest disaster for me but then again I always do badly in Paper 1. In paper 2 I lost almost the whole of the greenhouse effect question but because I hadn't had time to study it, then the question in waves about the frequency and the question about how quarks were hypothesized. Pretty sure I made a lot of other mistakes too but oh well, what can you do. Does anyone know what the graph was like in the capacitor question of Voltage vs time?