Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

SL PHYSICS MAY 2016 EXAM:(

Recommended Posts

hey,

anyone who was unhappy with the may 2016 SL Physics paper 1 and 2, or found that the examination was unfair in content and level of difficulty, please take a moment to sign this petition:)

(let's be honest, that was brutal guys.......)

 

https://www.change.org/p/ib-physics-examination-may-2016/sponsors/new

 

EDIT: also, pls share the link with our fellow IBs

Edited by Hermione Granger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kept asking myself why I didn't know anything. Like really, what was wrong with me? 
If perhaps P1 was reasonable if you thought ever question very well, and deduced some nitty-gritty stuff here and there, expecting you to do that in 45 minutes is ludicrous. 
P2 was bad. Like I felt you could throw at me anything from topic 7 (particles) and I would solve it, and then the reaction showed you more binding energy, yet a smaller mass? Like TF was that? 

The waves question was quite ok too. You could deduce the period easily by looking at the graph. It was displaced 3/4 of a period to the right, so if you got that time you simply had to multiply it by 3/4 and you got the period and thus the velocity, RIGHT? 

The sun albedo questions were perhaps the only questions that were entirely appropriate for the paper. In fact, they were literally the examples that you find in the 6th edition Tsokos. If I just had had the time to study everything, but my teacher barely covered up to chapter 5.1 of the syllabus, and left us on our own 100% to do everything else. 
Everything else didn't make justice to what I studied, specially the Ice-spring question was obscene. 

 

I ANSWERED 19 marks, and assuming that hals of that is correct, we are looking at some 10/50. 

Edited by Andrew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I kept asking myself why I didn't know anything. Like really, what was wrong with me? 
If perhaps P1 was reasonable if you thought ever question very well, and deduced some nitty-gritty stuff here and there, expecting you to do that in 45 minutes is ludicrous. 
P2 was bad. Like I felt you could throw at me anything from topic 7 (particles) and I would solve it, and then the reaction showed you more binding energy, yet a smaller mass? Like TF was that? 

The waves question was quite ok too. You could deduce the period easily by looking at the graph. It was displaced 3/4 of a period to the right, so if you got that time you simply had to multiply it by 3/4 and you got the period and thus the velocity, RIGHT? 

The sun albedo questions were perhaps the only questions that were entirely appropriate for the paper. In fact, they were literally the examples that you find in the 6th edition Tsokos. If I just had had the time to study everything, but my teacher barely covered up to chapter 5.1 of the syllabus, and left us on our own 100% to do everything else. 
Everything else didn't make justice to what I studied, specially the Ice-spring question was obscene. 

 

I ANSWERED 19 marks, and assuming that hals of that is correct, we are looking at some 10/50. 

 

 

49 minutes ago, Apple said:

Hey Andrew, what did you get for the     velocity of the wave? My answer did not make any sense...

What I did for the velocity is that you knew it took a time of (whatever it was) to travel a distance of x.  What I did is I found the difference between two x coordinates that had the same y coordinate since the change in x would be displacement and then you would know time.  Then you could figure out period by finding the distance it traveled in one period and divide that by velocity to obtain period (and then 1/T for frequency).  

 

I thought the mechanics question on paper 1 were harder than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Apple said:

My answer was like 1400m/s which was ridiculously fast. Did you arrive with the same answer?

Unfortunately no :(  I got 340m/s.  I remember that the displacement was 0.3m in 0.88ms.  Thank god for error carried forward lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rakinator said:

Unfortunately no :(  I got 340m/s.  I remember that the displacement was 0.3m in 0.88ms.  Thank god for error carried forward lol

 

5 minutes ago, nina101 said:

340 m/s too

Must have miscalculated the displacement ^_^. Anyways what about the frequency? I think mine was around 900Hz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2016 at 1:31 AM, rakinator said:

 

What I did for the velocity is that you knew it took a time of (whatever it was) to travel a distance of x.  What I did is I found the difference between two x coordinates that had the same y coordinate since the change in x would be displacement and then you would know time.  Then you could figure out period by finding the distance it traveled in one period and divide that by velocity to obtain period (and then 1/T for frequency).  

 

I thought the mechanics question on paper 1 were harder than usual.

Yah, I did the exact same. 

On 5/8/2016 at 1:50 AM, Apple said:

My answer was like 1400m/s which was ridiculously fast. Did you arrive with the same answer?

Yeah, sth like that mee to. That's because you clearly converted to m/s, right? 

And the one of the binding energy in P2 i got 80 MeV. I got the defect in each side of the equation and then the change in mass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about most of the mc questions but I remember for polarization I was confused because it passed through a vertical plane in the end so I thought there would be no intensity after the 2nd plane but I don't remember the answer I put or the question really lol.  

 

For the frequency I forget I think I got something above 1000.  As long as you have the right method you would get all points even with an incorrect velocity.  I think what you were supposed to do is find out the displacement in one oscillation and then divide by speed to get period.  one over period would be frequency.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ibstudent081099 said:

What did you answer on the multiple choice on the percentage uncertainty, the one on the pool and the one on polarization?

In percentage uncertainty I had 1, I don't remember the pool question, and in polarization I had this curve that looked like normal curve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came out of paper 1 crying!! I understand y'know throwing in a few hardballs, mess us up a little but i swear 90% of those questions required me to either have to too much time analysing, calculating or BOTH. There was honestly not enough time to think for the difficulty of that paper 1. I am so disappointed that that is what will reflect  all my hard work and my studying.

Paper two was a slight bit better than paper 1, however seeing as paper 1 was **** that's not a lot to go off of. Paper two had some pretty tricky questions as well. However it wasn't to the extent of paper 1 where I felt COMPLETELY clueless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest iblearner
30 minutes ago, AA21 said:

I came out of paper 1 crying!! I understand y'know throwing in a few hardballs, mess us up a little but i swear 90% of those questions required me to either have to too much time analysing, calculating or BOTH. There was honestly not enough time to think for the difficulty of that paper 1. I am so disappointed that that is what will reflect  all my hard work and my studying.

Paper two was a slight bit better than paper 1, however seeing as paper 1 was **** that's not a lot to go off of. Paper two had some pretty tricky questions as well. However it wasn't to the extent of paper 1 where I felt COMPLETELY clueless. 

it was the other way around for me, but okay~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew said:

Yeah, sth like that mee to. That's because you clearly converted to m/s, right? 

Yeah, I was so shocked to find that the wave was travelling that fast.

7 hours ago, Andrew said:

And the one of the binding energy in P2 i got 80 MeV. I got the defect in each side of the equation and then the change in mass. 

Hmm, my binding energy was 1.7 MeV if I'm not mistaken...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...