Difficulty of Further Mathematics HL

AdrianP

Hey fellows,

this is my first topic on the forum. I was wondering if people doing Further Math HL could tell me a bit about the difficulty of the subject. Personally I wrote IGCSE Math and Additional Math one year early (A* and A respectively) and now im taking my A-Levels in Mathematics with Statistics 2 years early. The thing is that I want to study economics in future and for universities like the LSE it is already a requirement to have a 7 in math HL. So the only way to distinguish myself from other participants would be to take Math Further on its own (without taking math HL as well). But just having heard how difficult it is for others I would need some advice. 

Thanks in advance people.

You, as somebody good at math, should know that difficulty in math is a subjective measurement. You can read the official HL Further Math guide: . It says First Examinations 2014 but that's because IB don't update syllabus from year to year. Some of IB's favourite questions include combining concepts from multiple topics and ask it in a single question. One unique aspect is that all grades in Further are based on final papers, unlike I believe every other IB subject which require internal assessments.

Thanks for the answer. I agree that math is subjective, but I also believe that anybody even considering to do math further level (and also everybody doing it) is more or less equally (if not more) good at math than I am. And in that case people doing it could have given me their opinion.

Guest iblearner
22 hours ago, kw0573 said:

You, as somebody good at math, should know that difficulty in math is a subjective measurement. You can read the official HL Further Math guide: . It says First Examinations 2014 but that's because IB don't update syllabus from year to year. Some of IB's favourite questions include combining concepts from multiple topics and ask it in a single question. One unique aspect is that all grades in Further are based on final papers, unlike I believe every other IB subject which require internal assessments.

I thought Math has IAs too?

It's not hard if you're used to reading Math at a higher level (in fact, it would be introductory). The first section on Linear Algebra is a great introduction to the subject which can be complemented further in college by an Abstract Linear Algebra course (you don't see many proofs in the IB course). The section on Geometry seems tedious (and complicated as well!). On the other hand, the section on Probability and Statistics is very well made. The material seems challenging enough, and it could even be comparable to a Probability/Statistics course taken as a freshman/sophomore in college (same goes with the Sets, Relations and Groups chapter, with particular emphasis on the Groups section). 

The Further Maths program has vastly improved in the last few years. If you plan on going into Mathematics at University, it will help you a great deal (some of the concepts discussed in the syllabus are seen in first or even second year courses in an undergraduate Math program!)

Thanks for that insight, it was quite helpful. I am now relatively certain that I will at least attempt Further Math HL. The thing is though, that I do not aim to study mathematics in college. I rather intend to follow a career in economics later on.

Imo maths further is pretty easy, I was going to take it but my school didnt allow me.

The problem with further is that most unis dont recognise it as a subject so they will still require you to get a 7.

So it isnt worth it to risk trying to get a 7 in further when you can (almost) guarantee a 7 in HL especially if you don't want to go into maths