IB History of the Americas HL Paper 1: Communism in Crisis

Hisham

How did you all do? I was glad that paper 1 was on Gorbachev and East Germany because I studied that a lot over the school year. The last question is the only place of worry for me, because I always tend to lose marks for not citing enough sources lol

Paper 1 was super easy for me!! Everyone was freaking out that it would be on China again, and we basically didn't have a teacher this year so we all crammed hard right before the exam. I got lucky because my EE, IA, and other research papers covered Communism in our syllabus extensively. 

When we all saw it was on the fall of the Berlin Wall, we looked around at each other (there's 150 of us) and just smiled. I poured out everything I knew into the last question and made sure I at least had a couple sentences devoted to each Source. 

Really happy with how I did :)

It was absolutely the worst topic for me, as I hadn't studied the satellite states and especially not East Germany as much as I had studied Gorbachev and Deng Xiaoping so I was kind of disappointed with the topic, I feel like I would have done a better job with the other topics. However, I feel that if you have the right strategies, time management, structure of your answers etc. and cite sources in the essay you will be fine in Paper 1 - extensive own knowledge about the topic can help but is not essential for Paper 1 (of course you should be able to know the topic enough to understand the sources and write a good essay though). 

I felt good about Paper 1!! The hardest part was the time.  I was able to talk about all sources in #4 and include some of my own knowledge but I didn't have enough time to expand on them so they may not really count for much.  I was hoping it would be Gorbachev or Xiaoping so I was relieved. 

went well i think i did alright wasnt my best paper 1 but wasnt my worst the topic was not too challenging im glad i reviewed communism a lot before the exam overall im hoping for a 6 on history but will realistically get a 5 we'll see!