Calculator Notation

IBsurvivor98

Guest iblearner
21 minutes ago, IBsurvivor98 said:

Hey Guys!

When using Binom and Normal functions, Im guessing we can't just write binomcdf and normalcdf right. Does anyone know how we are supposed to write this stuff?

my teacher said if you're using a gdc, you can just write binomcdf() etc. 

Use the notation X~B(n,p) for binomial distribution, X~Po(m) for poisson distribution and X~N(z,mean,deviation). Then just do the calculations with your calculator and express the results. I believe you will lose marks in paper 2 if you write calculator language such as binomialcdf(blablabla) in math hl. 

edit: You don't have to remember this notation because they are also shown in the data booklet. So just look at the data booklet as a reference when you're doing paper 2 questions. 

Edited by maturk
  • Like 1

Guest iblearner
On 5/10/2016 at 9:19 PM, maturk said:

Use the notation X~B(n,p) for binomial distribution, X~Po(m) for poisson distribution and X~N(z,mean,deviation). Then just do the calculations with your calculator and express the results. I believe you will lose marks in paper 2 if you write calculator language such as binomialcdf(blablabla) in math hl. 

edit: You don't have to remember this notation because they are also shown in the data booklet. So just look at the data booklet as a reference when you're doing paper 2 questions. 

Yeah, but I guess that's kinda obvious lmao

You still have to write whether you used pdf of cdf so you gotta write the calculator language along with the mathematical notations. 

9 hours ago, iblearner said:

Yeah, but I guess that's kinda obvious lmao

You still have to write whether you used pdf of cdf so you gotta write the calculator language along with the mathematical notations. 

No you don't. Check some mark schemes. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, iblearner said:

I did lmao, mark schemes include calculator notations. 

lmao doesn't look like you did. No where do you see normalcdf() or inversnorm() or bionomialpdf() etc. This is because the IB doesn't use calculator notation and neither should you in your exams. Look at any mark scheme. These are just random ones I found in a couple of minutes. 

not 2.PNG

not 3.PNG

not.PNG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maturk said:

lmao doesn't look like you did. No where do you see normalcdf() or inversnorm() or bionomialpdf() etc. This is because the IB doesn't use calculator notation and neither should you in your exams. Look at any mark scheme. These are just random ones I found in a couple of minutes. 

not 2.PNG

not 3.PNG

not.PNG

Seconding this - look at the mark schemes and they'll give you exactly what you need to know. IBO knows what they want more than your teachers do.

• Like 1

Guest iblearner
On 5/13/2016 at 10:25 PM, kw0573 said:

Which paper? For example May 2014 TZ1 P2 HL Math has no calculator notations, and that's the first exam of the new syllabus. 

7 hours ago, Yugalarex said:

Seconding this - look at the mark schemes and they'll give you exactly what you need to know. IBO knows what they want more than your teachers do.

7 hours ago, maturk said:

not 2.PNG

not 3.PNG

not.PNG

I don't remember what paper I got it from, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it. I wouldn't tell you otherwise. If the pdf or cdf is not mentioned, examiners wouldn't make out what was used, possibly loosing marks in the workings. In the ms you've posted, @maturk, this isn't shown, but it wouldn't hurt to write it down. Better safe than sorry. 

And sure, IB knows more than my teacher, but it makes more sense to write it down than not to.

Cheers.

10 minutes ago, iblearner said:

I don't remember what paper I got it from, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it. I wouldn't tell you otherwise. If the pdf or cdf is not mentioned, examiners wouldn't make out what was used, possibly loosing marks in the workings. In the ms you've posted, @maturk, this isn't shown, but it wouldn't hurt to write it down. Better safe than sorry. 

And sure, IB knows more than my teacher, but it makes more sense to write it down than not to.

Cheers.

For the odd chance of anyone reading this for future examinations.
1) IB does not care what calculator notation you use. There are a great variety of allowed calculators with different notations. For clarity, you should always use the standard mathematical notation, which if written correctly, will guarantee partial credits. 

2) Marks will not be awarded or taken off for calculator language. But you can write this down to check if you have entered the syntax correctly. IB never take away marks unless you contradict yourself, and so the mark awarded earlier is now removed.

3) If you write down only calculator notations, you cannot guarantee partial/full credits. For example in @maturk's first markscheme, a method mark will not be awarded if you didn't write P(X>=1) = 1-P(X=0). Notably, this mark would not be awarded without seeing this step even if the correct answer of 0.451 had been given. N1 denotes 1 mark (out of 2 available) will be awarded if only 0.451 is seen.
Hope that clarifies how we weren't saying that it is wrong to include calculator notations, but only proper notations can get you the mark.