Physics paper 3

bynary

Guest SNJERIN

I thought that the engineering option was extremely easy. I was expecting some tricky Bernoulli applications but nothing on that came. 

Section A, I thought, had some tricky questions. In particular when they asked about the range of values of t for which the hypothesis hold, most of my friends neglected the fact that the x-axis was the inverse of time and so they wrote 0.05 ≤ t ≤ 0.15 where it should actually be 6.7≤ t ≤ 20. 

30 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

I thought that the engineering option was extremely easy. I was expecting some tricky Bernoulli applications but nothing on that came. 

Section A, I thought, had some tricky questions. In particular when they asked about the range of values of t for which the hypothesis hold, most of my friends neglected the fact that the x-axis was the inverse of time and so they wrote 0.05 ≤ t ≤ 0.15 where it should actually be 6.7≤ t ≤ 20. 

I neglected that too :( How about improving the measurement through shifting this device? I wrote that it will have no effect on refractive index.

And what about the thickness of the glass? I wrote that the percentatge uncertainty will be smaller but that was just guessing. I didn't find that paper all that easy but I did well in P2

Guest SNJERIN
10 minutes ago, nina101 said:

I neglected that too :( How about improving the measurement through shifting this device? I wrote that it will have no effect on refractive index.

And what about the thickness of the glass? I wrote that the percentatge uncertainty will be smaller but that was just guessing. I didn't find that paper all that easy but I did well in P2

Oh, I am sorry to hear that. Actually, I almost made the same mistake. It was just that I had a 10min to spare once I have done all other questions and so I went through this part and spotted the mistake. 

You're right, the systematic error has no affect on the refractive index. 

As for the last question, I am not really sure, I was guessing here as well. However, I made the assumption that the refractive index of the glass was higher than that of the microscopic slider, thus the absolute uncertainty will be higher as well. And btw, did they ask for the percentage or absolute uncertainty ? I am pretty certain got this part wrong. 

Edited by Haitham Wahid

51 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

I wrote 0.05 to 0.15 too, but I said they were t^-1 values, so I'm still right, right?

I had Astro which was refreshingly easy in comparison to 1 and 2. I was actually kind of annoyed by how much I revised for it and there were very few questions to properly test my knowledge (it seemed easier than past papers?). I doubt it will make much of a difference in with my exam results though.

30 minutes ago, tashakappler said:

I had Astro which was refreshingly easy in comparison to 1 and 2. I was actually kind of annoyed by how much I revised for it and there were very few questions to properly test my knowledge (it seemed easier than past papers?). I doubt it will make much of a difference in with my exam results though.

Yeah I heard that the astro was almost too easy (if that is such a thing).

Tbf paper 3 has 20% weighting, just as much as paper 1 so it could have a significant effect :D 

Guest SNJERIN
2 hours ago, kevG said:

I wrote 0.05 to 0.15 too, but I said they were t^-1 values, so I'm still right, right?

I am reasonably certain that this is correct, provided that you have explicitly specified that in your answer, so doing worry about it :)

For the refractive index question I believe the refractive index will stay the same as the material is still the same. However the percentage uncertainty in each of the three values will be less(As absolute uncertainty stays at 0.02 while values get bigger). Therefore the percentage uncertainty in the refractive index will be less as well as the absolute uncertainty. 

Just to make it complete, I did the imaging option and it was also quite easy so I'm expecting some high grade boundaries. 

Edited by Polybos
  • Like 2