Okay so I'm having a summative, Mock IOC of sorts tomorrow. My English Language & Literature HL teacher is the most pedantic, and cruel marker. Most of the class doesn't score above a 3/7 on most assessments (meaning most of us are failing), and the highest I've ever received from him was 5/7, and I think he was just in a good mood. So hoping that maybe I can achieve that most godly of achievements, and score 5 on this IOC I was wondering how I should approach in order to get the best possible score?

4 minutes ago, Alex Smith-napier said:

Okay so I'm having a summative, Mock IOC of sorts tomorrow. My English Language & Literature HL teacher is the most pedantic, and cruel marker. Most of the class doesn't score above a 3/7 on most assessments (meaning most of us are failing), and the highest I've ever received from him was 5/7, and I think he was just in a good mood. So hoping that maybe I can achieve that most godly of achievements, and score 5 on this IOC I was wondering how I should approach in order to get the best possible score?

I'm in Lit, but I had to do the IOC as well and the best advice I can give you is know all your texts really well because you don't know which ones you're getting. Also pace yourself during the oral commentary and have a really clear structure. When you bring in your central assertion, also add signposts such as: "first I will discuss… then, I will discuss… Lastly I will discuss… and remember to link to your thesis throughout your whole commentary. Make sure you are watching the timer as you talk. You may not talk for the whole 10 minutes because your teacher may ask you some clarification questions at the end (my teacher did). 

For the literary discussion portion, make sure you can know extremely specific details like what specific metaphors, symbolism, quotes etc. Also, if you're discussing a play it looks REALLY good to briefly bring in which act or scene it is from. :D

Hope I helped a bit and good luck on your IOC! :D 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShootingStar16 said:

I'm in Lit, but I had to do the IOC as well and the best advice I can give you is know all your texts really well because you don't know which ones you're getting. Also pace yourself during the oral commentary and have a really clear structure. When you bring in your central assertion, also add signposts such as: "first I will discuss… then, I will discuss… Lastly I will discuss… and remember to link to your thesis throughout your whole commentary. Make sure you are watching the timer as you talk. You may not talk for the whole 10 minutes because your teacher may ask you some clarification questions at the end (my teacher did). 

For the literary discussion portion, make sure you can know extremely specific details like what specific metaphors, symbolism, quotes etc. Also, if you're discussing a play it looks REALLY good to briefly bring in which act or scene it is from. :D

Hope I helped a bit and good luck on your IOC! :D 

Firstly, that helps a lot so thank you very much for that, but I thought the whole purpose of the IOC was merely to demonstrate an understanding of the section, not to make a thesis about it? Or are we making a thesis about the meaning of the section? I'm so confused and I've done this before so that can't be a good sign. If this were poetry, I wouldn't even be worried, but we're doing the Sorrow of War which is a book, so now I'm all kinds of confused.

Edited by Alex Smith-napier

Just now, Alex Smith-napier said:

Firstly, that helps a lot so thank you very much for that, but I thought the whole purpose of the IOC was merely to demonstrate an understanding of the section, not to make a thesis about it? Or are we making a thesis about the meaning, of the section? I'm so confused and I've done this before so that can't be a good sign. If this were poetry, I wouldn't even be worried, but we're doing the Sorrow of War which is a book, so now I'm all kinds of confused.

For the commentary, yes it is kind of like your typical commentary; you're making a thesis about the meaning of the section like: In this passage, so and so uses… to suggest this…

2 minutes ago, ShootingStar16 said:

For the commentary, yes it is kind of like your typical commentary; you're making a thesis about the meaning of the section like: In this passage, so and so uses… to suggest this…

Oh, okay that makes a lot of sense now. I'll have to get used to sign posting again, because my teacher tells us to avoid that sort of thing in our paper 1/2 because it creates 'wordy syntax', and 'passive voice.'

Edited by Alex Smith-napier