HISTORY HL/SL Paper 2

Malino

Horrible questions, so limited in scope!! We did only one region of democratic states (well, only one state) and couldn't answer anything from Topic 2 (could've done ethnic and religious policies, but that's a **** essay for Weimar), and had to answer something about wars--I did the one about significance of territorial changes after wars, but I was so nervous I couldn't think of anything but the World Wars.

I did the Hitler one too, that was great--I did a chronological/thematic approach, talked about the reasons for increase in support and the slight decrease around 1932. Talked about the economy and the political weakness. I felt really good about it, but maybe it just felt so much better compared to the war essay I half-assed. 

Lots of pressure on the Paper 3 now though. 

9 minutes ago, ellie said:

I did the Hitler one too, that was great--I did a chronological/thematic approach, talked about the reasons for increase in support and the slight decrease around 1932. Talked about the economy and the political weakness. I felt really good about it, but maybe it just felt so much better compared to the war essay I half-assed. 

Hey! So how did you evaluate the extent? I did the conditions that allowed him to gain support taking about weimar republic and depression and then the methods he used: violence and his own personal skills. However I said that in 1932 support actually increased because the Nazi party had 230 seats in the Reichstag whilst in 1928 they only had 12.. why do you think that support decreased in 1932? :) 

I did essay 6 about the social effects of war, and I did Spanish Civil War and Chinese Civil War and then I did question 16 About Mao's methods to establish his regime. Both were ok, but the questions weren't my favorite this year. I was hoping for something on foreign intervention in wars or dictators social policies. Now Paper 3, the worst :(

33 minutes ago, Malino said:

Hey! So how did you evaluate the extent? I did the conditions that allowed him to gain support taking about weimar republic and depression and then the methods he used: violence and his own personal skills. However I said that in 1932 support actually increased because the Nazi party had 230 seats in the Reichstag whilst in 1928 they only had 12.. why do you think that support decreased in 1932? :) 

Hey! I did the Hitler question too and I evaluated it in a similar way, highlighting the reliance on a weak economic situation for Hitler's support as he is largely described as an opportunist (slammed in some historiography there ahaha) who exploited the conditions in which Germany found itself in...I said that his support slightly fell in 1932, as the election on November 1932 saw a 4% swing away from the Nazis as the economy saw a slight improvement in late 1932, although he had already generated sufficient support for this not to hinder his eventual establishment of power :)

7 minutes ago, Salome Holland said:

I did essay 6 about the social effects of war, and I did Spanish Civil War and Chinese Civil War and then I did question 16 About Mao's methods to establish his regime. Both were ok, but the questions weren't my favorite this year. I was hoping for something on foreign intervention in wars or dictators social policies. Now Paper 3, the worst :(

what did you say about which methods Mao used to establish his regime? I did that question too

11 minutes ago, LottieDay said:

Hey! I did the Hitler question too and I evaluated it in a similar way, highlighting the reliance on a weak economic situation for Hitler's support as he is largely described as an opportunist (slammed in some historiography there ahaha) who exploited the conditions in which Germany found itself in...I said that his support slightly fell in 1932, as the election on November 1932 saw a 4% swing away from the Nazis as the economy saw a slight improvement in late 1932, although he had already generated sufficient support for this not to hinder his eventual establishment of power :)

Oh ok I had no idea haha! I hope i don't lose too many marks for not mentioning that.. anyways I think my first essay was the one which I did better! What essay did you do other than Hitler? :)

1 minute ago, Malino said:

Oh ok I had no idea haha! I hope i don't lose too many marks for not mentioning that.. anyways I think my first essay was the one which I did better! What essay did you do other than Hitler? :)

I did question 3 (I think?) from Topic 1 on the significance of territorial changes in twentieth century wars  - it was ok..how about you? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LottieDay said:

I did question 3 (I think?) from Topic 1 on the significance of territorial changes in twentieth century wars  - it was ok..how about you? 

Actually i think that was question 2 :) I did  question 3 which was on air power and sea power and the significance in one twenty century war! 

22 minutes ago, Marie said:

what did you say about which methods Mao used to establish his regime? I did that question too

For Mao I talked about pre-war and post war establishment of his regime. For pre-war I talked about winning the hearts and minds of the people through establishing the Yanan province and ensuring the PLA remained respectful to all civilians, I then talked about Mao establishing a cult of personality through the Long March. Post War I talked about his initial stage of pragmatism in which he consolidated his power (so the implementation of 'barefoot doctors, improvement of education and sanitation) essentially giving the people what they wanted. Finally I spoke about his initially campaigns such as the 'Resist America Aid Korea campaign' and how this allowed Mao to eliminate ideologic opposers as well as some political enemies. I didn't add much historiography though, which I am slightly worried about. I hope it went well, how did you approach this essay? 

I did question 2 and question 25. I usually perform better in my essays from the questions 1-5, but this time I felt that my Cold War essay went much better. Also, I had a tiny panic attack at the end when there was only one minute left and I noticed I had written #1 instead of #2 in the question box... And well in one minute you certainly don't have time to start your answer from the next available box :lc: So I turned my 1 into a 2, I hope it's not noticeable :lol:

Did anyone do question 1? The one about ideology contributing to the outbreak and expansion of second world war until the end of 1941? I am really worried right now because I feel like I did not concentrade on the "outbreak of ww2", but rather the role of ideology in the "origin of ww2". I also felt that one of my points wasnt that relevant because I wrote about the role of ideology in Hitler's rise to power as he played the most important role in the start of ww2. Help guys😕😕😕

I did Hitler's mass support that question. I discussed how the crisis state enabled his radical policies to be accepted by the masses. Also, I argued that after all the crisis happened in Germany, German people started to lean right even though during the golden ages in mid-late 1920s, the society will be stabiliized thanks to Stresemann's economic and political policie which will lead to temporal fall of Nazi.

I did Topic 1, 2 which was about to what extent territorial changes were the most significant consequence of any 20th century war.

I invested almost 50 minutes on my first essay, so I wrote sth like the geopolitical changes after WWI will affect many countries economically and politically given that Germany, who lost many of her industrial lands, will face hard time recovering from inflation which she only temporally did under Stresemann's regime. I said directly, territorial changes Germany led to economic hardships and indirectly led to Germany's aggressive policy because many Germans would build up resentment towards the allies and they would attempt to recover lost lands during 1930s. 

Then, I added the fact that while the territorial changes were the most significant, willingness and effort to stop a war had been made after WWI. I said regardless of how successful League of Nation was, it was built under agreement to prevent war. Such movement started when the world witnessed unprecedented death tolls and effect of mass killing weapons. 

I wrote my outline on the question booklet and my history teacher has it now. I read it yesterday and said the outline seems perfect and if I have written based on what is written in the outline, he expects pretty good grades for history. So, until July, I don't and will not worry about my history grade :P

TZ1, I did questions 13 (on the rise of Stalin) and 30 (the role of Gorbachev's policies in ending the Cold War). I think I had some pretty solid essays, I made sure to reference other historians and their perspectives. I also kind of lucked out because I prepared for 3 topics (1, 3, and 5), but I couldn't answer anything in topic 1 even though it was my strongest, so I had to resort to using my knowledge from my EE (which included the rise of Stalin and Gorbachev's policies) and another research paper I did (solely on the effect of Gorbachev's policies).

TZ2. I chose question 4 and 25. 

About why the Nationalists failed during Chinese Civil War and Mutual fear caused the development of Cold War. 

I am quite satisfy with my essay to question 4. But for question 25, I ran out of time and somehow completely forgot to implement a counter-argument to the essay -.- 

Do you guys know the highest possible mark for a one-sided essay in History?

2 hours ago, =-= said:

Did anyone do question 1? The one about ideology contributing to the outbreak and expansion of second world war until the end of 1941? I am really worried right now because I feel like I did not concentrade on the "outbreak of ww2", but rather the role of ideology in the "origin of ww2". I also felt that one of my points wasnt that relevant because I wrote about the role of ideology in Hitler's rise to power as he played the most important role in the start of ww2. Help guys😕😕😕

I did that question too! 

In my intro, I defined ideology as consisting of nationalism, imperialism, and racial superiority. In my essay, I argued that all three of these factors led to war both in Europe and in Asia. The ideology of imperialism, in particular, served to expand the war. One of my friends also talked about communism, and the role it played in the policy of Appeasement. 

I did Topic 1, I think question 3, about the role of women in two twenty-first century wars.  We spent an entire semester on Topic 1, so I was really disappointed in the fact that there was literally only one question that we had prepared for significantly enough that I could write a whole essay about it.  Almost all of my classmates did the same essay.  For Topic 3, I did question 14(?) about how policies in two authoritarian states eliminated internal resistance, using China under Mao and Russia under Stalin as my examples.

2 hours ago, Schrodinger's CAS said:

I did that question too! 

In my intro, I defined ideology as consisting of nationalism, imperialism, and racial superiority. In my essay, I argued that all three of these factors led to war both in Europe and in Asia. The ideology of imperialism, in particular, served to expand the war. One of my friends also talked about communism, and the role it played in the policy of Appeasement. 

Wow that sounds really good! Although I was really worried about the phrasing of the question, because it says "outbreak of war", I didnt really refer to the actual outbreak of war( invasion of Poland in 1939), but I interpreted the question as how did ideology contribute to the origin of the war, leading to the outbreak...not sure if thats okay:(