If your Math HL P1 were super bad, how much could you possibly get?

Andrew

I felt overconfident about today's test, but in the end I think I will not do so well in P1 because the bulk of the exam were topics I overlooked / had no time to study in detail. 

I am looking at some 35/120 marks, which is markband 3. 
My exploration falls within mark 6. 
I am very good in calculus and I have one week to study very well so I may think about a 7. 
P2, should bad luck not befall be again with weird topics, let's say a 6. 

Also, in these conditions, would a 7 in P2 be of particular hope? 

Is a 6 or at least a 5 still within my horizon?  

Edited by Andrew

Traditionally, lower boundary for 7 in paper 1 was around 83~85 while boundary for paper 2 is like 91~93/120. I am guessing you are taking calculus as your option BTW. 

Based on what you've said if you can get like 83/120 in paper 2 and 40/60 in paper 3, you can get about 59% in total, which is mid-5. 

So, do well in paper 2 and paper 3, then you can definitely get 5 or possibly 6. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bynary said:

Well, small calculations show that a 6 with these conditions is tough but a 5 is definitely possible

Be sure to revise well for paper 3. What option are you doing?

CALCULUS 

I am really a calculus enthusiast and spent two hours every day the last 1.5 years doing calculus, so I'm as crazy as to claim being able to score full marks. That would really impress the examiners, right? 

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

CALCULUS 

I am really a calculus enthusiast and spent two hours every day the last 1.5 years doing calculus, so I'm as crazy as to claim being able to score full marks. That would really impress the examiners, right? 

Yeah, totally. But your marks don't depend on whether they're impressed or not, so who cares?

I've taken calculus as well. Where do you get so much content to practice from lol? I'm mostly just doing my textbook and past papers (most of which I'm done with) and now idk where I can practice from.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sandy said:

Yeah, totally. But your marks don't depend on whether they're impressed or not, so who cares?

I've taken calculus as well. Where do you get so much content to practice from lol? I'm mostly just doing my textbook and past papers (most of which I'm done with) and now idk where I can practice from.

It's not necessarily the best of choices and you'd have to make sure that they are either at the same or even higher difficulty, but you can try A-Level questions for even more practice.

• kw0573 locked this topic