Chemistry EE topic help?

cobrakebab490

My chemistry EE topic concerned the extraction and analysis of sulphur dioxide and other sulphites in different wines. When I suggested this to my teacher, she said that I couldn't do this for my EE because SO2 is dangerous to breathe in, even though I told her I'll be doing the entire experiment in a fume cupboard. Can anyone help me convince my teacher that this is an ok topic? Or maybe give me suggestions on what I can do my EE on?  

Thanks in advance guys

Perhaps you could extract a different compound? There's plenty of other stuff in wines, such as tannins, sugars, or organic acids, which won't pose inhalation issues. Of course, you may need to do some additional research on how the extractions would work, since separating SO2 would be different than separating a large biomolecule or sugar, and see if it's feasible with what equipment you have available.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2016 at 10:14 PM, cobrakebab490 said:

My chemistry EE topic concerned the extraction and analysis of sulphur dioxide and other sulphites in different wines. When I suggested this to my teacher, she said that I couldn't do this for my EE because SO2 is dangerous to breathe in, even though I told her I'll be doing the entire experiment in a fume cupboard. Can anyone help me convince my teacher that this is an ok topic? Or maybe give me suggestions on what I can do my EE on?  

Thanks in advance guys

Heya!

The IB loves students that know to be safe in the lab. So when they read SO2, they'll inmediately gasp and open their eyes a little bit more. Those eyes are going to be watching out for any signs of unsafe procedures - so you are going to have to be super super cautious (almost in an exaggerated way).

Google the risk assessment for SO2 (most unis and research centers have risk assessments for all the common substances, they are very reliable) and make sure you have all the equipment you'd need to handle SO2 in a safe way. If for some reason you aren't going to follow the guidelines that appear in the risk assessment, don't do it! I'm sure you value your life and/or grades enough :D

Then show your supervisor the risk assessment and prove that you have all the material required (gloves, masks, whatever you need) and that you will follow the indications. Make sure you write it out in your actual EE as well - maybe create an appendix with the risk assessment of the experiment and you'll be fine.

Gooood luck!