How was Math HL Paper 1?

Guest iblearner

1 hour ago, Haitham Wahid said:

Thank you. This question was indeed tricky! but the idea was to realize that sin(a)= sin(π-a). I wish I could have shown you my approach step by step but just writing the formulas and equations would take a tremendous amount of time. 

I do take physics HL and it went really well :)

It's ok as it has already gone :)) You are the only one I have met so far who said it went well :pp I messed up the last question and got many uncertain answers on P2 so it was not very well for me. Anyway, which uni have you applied to? 

I think I failed this paper. I easily lost the whole 60 points from section B. I am good at maths, but the single two topics I overlooked had to come in section b, complex numbers (SPECIALLY de moivre's theorem and planes), and question 13 could have saved me, since Calculus is my thing, yet I left the question unanswered because I didn't see it (screw me right?). I freaked out so much at qs 11 and 12 that I didn't check the last page. I don't know how that was even possible. I'm looking at some 35/120 :'( 

I thought section B wasn't too bad at all, the only question I couldn't do (after spending an hour on it) was to find the other solution of that trig equation. I would have left an hour early if it wasn't for that question, which I couldn't solve, even after multiplying through by sinxcosx... Can anyone explain that one?

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 14.51.56.png

Guest iblearner
8 minutes ago, keegansimyh said:

I thought section B wasn't too bad at all, the only question I couldn't do (after spending an hour on it) was to find the other solution of that trig equation. I would have left an hour early if it wasn't for that question, which I couldn't solve, even after multiplying through by sinxcosx... Can anyone explain that one?

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 14.51.56.png

just substitute x with pi/12 and i think you'll get the answer. 

Guest iblearner
4 hours ago, isaiguana said:

I did TZ1 and I think it was slightly harder than the specimen, but still manageable. The strange question, in my opinion, was the final question where it asked to prove a certain expression. Besides that, I think that paper 1 was fine.

There was a specimen paper for math? 

9 hours ago, Andrew said:

I think I failed this paper. I easily lost the whole 60 points from section B. I am good at maths, but the single two topics I overlooked had to come in section b, complex numbers (SPECIALLY de moivre's theorem and planes), and question 13 could have saved me, since Calculus is my thing, yet I left the question unanswered because I didn't see it (screw me right?). I freaked out so much at qs 11 and 12 that I didn't check the last page. I don't know how that was even possible. I'm looking at some 35/120 :'( 

I know it sucks. In section B I didn't read the second last question properly and I lost like 19 marks for one question. Vector one I lost the 11 marks. ...... but paper 2 I think I can get over 100. 

It is a shame that our lives are defined by numbers and grades.  As long as you did your best, there is nothing to be sad about. I couldn't have done more honestly, but I wasn't being careful enough in the exams. But at the end of the day, the difference between a 6 and a 7 is probably just not being able to solve one or two questions. Exams in general are that superficial.... So don't be sad. Your life is not a number. 

Edited by Guest

Guest iblearner
18 hours ago, isaiguana said:

Yes, your teacher didn't give it to you?

He said there wasn't any specimen paper for math this year. sigh. 

in TZ1, did anyone find the question about imaginary numbers and addition and multiplication of roots impossible? (actually impossible, not just really hard. these questions are usually super easy, but i got d^2=-9, which would be imaginary, and it said it had to be real.) i did the problem at least 4 times, and kept getting this answer. 

Guest SNJERIN
21 minutes ago, melissa said:

what do you do  do after that?

LHS : (√3+1)cosx+(√3-1)sinx= 2√2sin(x+π/12)

2√2sin(x+π/12)=2√2sin(2x)

x+π/12=2x thus x = π/12 

also : 

2x= π-(x+π/12)

3x=11π/12

Hence x= 11π/36

15 minutes ago, Haitham Wahid said:

LHS : (√3+1)cosx+(√3-1)sinx= 2√2sin(x+π/12)

2√2sin(x+π/12)=2√2sin(2x)

x+π/12=2x thus x = π/12 

also : 

2x= π-(x+π/12)

3x=11π/12

Hence x= 11π/36

isnt it (√3-1)cosx+(√3+1)sinx??

Guest SNJERIN
6 minutes ago, melissa said:

isnt it (√3-1)cosx+(√3+1)sinx??

Yeah! Sorry, it should be (√3-1)cosx+(√3+1)sinx, but the logic is still the same. What you need to do from here is two write the LHS in the form of Asin(x+B) where A and B are constants.