IB Chemistry Papers 1 and 2

Alex98

How did you guys find the papers?? I'm in England and I think we got TZ2. Honestly, I thought paper 1 was ok, but paper 2 was in my opinion horrible. There were around 10 questions that I couldn't answer and had to guess. Plus, the phrasing really put me off. There was a question about the mechanism of the alcohol in the benzene (sn1 or sn2), but the phrasing was totally off like it was about something else.

• Like 1

Same here bro i had TZ1 though. Paper 2 was undoable, all my class didnt manage to finish on time and the questions required like 10mins each. I dont know what the f is going on with the IB this year, but i can say paper 2 chem was worse than physics p2...

I hope the boundaries go down this year in all sciences otherwise we're f****

I didn't see the timezone. So, were there two seperate timezones for chemistry? I think for my paper, there were around 5 unseen questions due to change in syllabus. My chem teacher went over my paper and I think I got 6 marks off for paper 1. For paper 2, I think except for weird question about oxidation, the sigma, pi bond, pre and post combustion of SO2 and the SrCl2 solubility in HCl, I think rest of them were pretty straight forward. 

Luckily, my chem teacher actually put all the reaction with benzene in my organics unit test, so I think I've managed to solve a question that had like 6 marks related to benzene.

Edited by Seung Hun Han

I think I am timezone 2 and everyone in my school are really satisfied with Chemistry p1 and p2, including myself. I guess I we expected it to be worse, because of the new syllabus. I might loose points in some question where I forgot certain details or forgot something, but most of it was familiar to me, even the "unseen questions" actually had very familiar concepts in them when you analyse them better. I am usually very slow at calculations, but I managed to do everything and even check my answers, some people in my school finished an hour earlier...

Anyway, this must have been because of our teacher because she made sure not to use questions from past papers and the time was always an issue for her tests, so we were "trained" to use concepts on unfamiliar questions and work quickly. Also, she went through last 5 past papers with us during last weeks of school... 

Did anyone else find the exam ok or were we really lucky with our teacher knowing what she was doing?

Guys I don't think there were any timezone 1 or 2 this year for any of the sciences, mine kept say M16 TZ0, so I think we are talking abt the same paper. Besides I felt that Overall the Chem paper this year went easier. Paper 1 had some unexpected/NEW Questions some of which were tough and except for the Benzene Question and Rates of Rxn in paper 2 all went well. I think It would be a safe 6 for me in CHEM. 

28 minutes ago, Awesomeness said:

Guys I don't think there were any timezone 1 or 2 this year for any of the sciences, mine kept say M16 TZ0, so I think we are talking abt the same paper. Besides I felt that Overall the Chem paper this year went easier. Paper 1 had some unexpected/NEW Questions some of which were tough and except for the Benzene Question and Rates of Rxn in paper 2 all went well. I think It would be a safe 6 for me in CHEM. 

Can you perhaps remind me of the two questions (benzene and rate) because my brain has been filled with paper 3... I also think 6 is safe, 7 is possible depending on the grade boundaries...

I think I did TZ2 and honestly, it was probably the easiest paper I'd ever done, even in past papers where we had the choice of questions. I didn't manage to do the nitration of benzene question (6 marks) and there were a couple weird 1-markers but, overall, it was a really good test - paper 2 was easier than paper 1 IMO. 

I think for people who have actually studied hard expecting really "hard" papers due to syllabus change, Paper 1 and 2 should have been easy. But, I think this year's papers generally have similar difficulty to the past papers. So, I am expecting similar or a bit lower grade boundary. After all, there were some new contents.

7 hours ago, AnjaDe said:

Can you perhaps remind me of the two questions (benzene and rate) because my brain has been filled with paper 3... I also think 6 is safe, 7 is possible depending on the grade boundaries...

The Rates of reaction on how you could prove your rate of expression was correct, something like that. It was a 3 marker. 

1 hour ago, Antonio Marco Colangelo said:

What did you guys put for the question asking why you would add sulphuric acid to tin? There was also that question asking whether or not you could prove that the mechanism was correct by confirming the rate equation ( was it r=k[NO]^2[H2]?) 

Wasn't it HCl for the solubility of the tin compound? The one which reacts with water to produce a solid and H+ and Cl- ions, so by adding HCl you shift the equilibrium to the left to the part where the compound with tin was aqueous? Or was it another question with sulfuric, which I forgot...

And I said you cannot prove the mechanism with the rate equation and gave another mechanism which results in the same rate equation...

I didn't see my timezone either, but I got the question about phosphine, pre and post combustion of SO2 and the question about the two compounds (A and B). It's funny how everyone here predicts that the grade boundaries will be lower this year whereas the ones in the other forum predict it will be higher. Anyways, I hope they do show mercy on us since we're the first batch of the new syllabus XD.

Some people might have found the paper bad because they might have only practiced from previous past papers, which were of the old syllabus. They might have not revised a lot of aspects in the new syllabus. The paper consisted of several questions, which had new topics. Such topics included the equation DeltaG=nFE, IHD, electrophilic substitution, molar enthalpy, Spectrochemical series, IR, HNMR and Mass Spectrometry, Acid Deposition, and several more, which I can't remember. 

I did not feel the paper to be as bad as it would be. I feel that they did kind of give some justice. They included quite simple topics such as bonding, periodicity and thankfully this time, the stoichiometry questions were not so bad. I feel that questions on limiting reagent and emperical formula were quite manageable. Only that you needed some presence of mind to do it. 

On 5/13/2016 at 3:37 PM, kyriakosr21 said:

Same here bro i had TZ1 though. Paper 2 was undoable, all my class didnt manage to finish on time and the questions required like 10mins each. I dont know what the f is going on with the IB this year, but i can say paper 2 chem was worse than physics p2...

I hope the boundaries go down this year in all sciences otherwise we're f****

Yeh tell me about it, everyone in my class came out saying they didnt have enough time. I remember half the time had passed and I was still in question number one ! Its already enough that the damn exam is hard, they had to make it time consuming. :/

7 hours ago, #teamnosleep said:

I didn't see my timezone either, but I got the question about phosphine, pre and post combustion of SO2 and the question about the two compounds (A and B). It's funny how everyone here predicts that the grade boundaries will be lower this year whereas the ones in the other forum predict it will be higher. Anyways, I hope they do show mercy on us since we're the first batch of the new syllabus XD.

I had the same problems. I totally guessed the answer for the pre and post combustion method. Turns out you had to say something about flue gas.. :/

4 hours ago, krisnri said:

Some people might have found the paper bad because they might have only practiced from previous past papers, which were of the old syllabus. They might have not revised a lot of aspects in the new syllabus. The paper consisted of several questions, which had new topics. Such topics included the equation DeltaG=nFE, IHD, electrophilic substitution, molar enthalpy, Spectrochemical series, IR, HNMR and Mass Spectrometry, Acid Deposition, and several more, which I can't remember. 

I did not feel the paper to be as bad as it would be. I feel that they did kind of give some justice. They included quite simple topics such as bonding, periodicity and thankfully this time, the stoichiometry questions were not so bad. I feel that questions on limiting reagent and emperical formula were quite manageable. Only that you needed some presence of mind to do it. 

I was fine with the IR, HNMR and Mass spectroscopy questions because I revised them thoroughly, but I found myself confused in the phrasing of the questions (i.e the ones following the benzene question)

1 hour ago, Alex98 said:

Yeh tell me about it, everyone in my class came out saying they didnt have enough time. I remember half the time had passed and I was still in question number one ! Its already enough that the damn exam is hard, they had to make it time consuming. :/

Yeah I spent 40 minutes or so on question 1 but it was like as long as the two successive questions. I lost 7 marks for sure in the benzene question and probs another 10 or so in the rest of the paper. Hopefully a 7 is around 76-78%

Paper 1 had some tricky questions, but I thought it was a good paper overall. Paper 2 was simply a pleasure to write...all of the questions were straightforward and it was an extremely fair exam. All of my colleagues and also my teacher found the paper 2 to be very good, especially in comparison to past papers. I'll be honest, it was the easiest paper I have written thus far.